Halfway
Green Thumb

Pallets and Snakes

I still believe that pallets make for great compost bins. Another batch of snakes are finding their way into the gardens and fields from the compost heap and I believe the pallets make it a perfect combination.

It is a great way to put to use an exhausted item and at the same time provide air and containment for a great compost pile.

A very cheap (or better yet, used) kiddie pool makes a great cover to block the sun and retain moisture. If the size is right, it will actually "snap" into place between the slats of the pallets.

Old, bent coat hangers make great fasteners to keep the pallets together and stable enough to remain vertical.

The joys of pallets (and snakes)!

rot
Greener Thumb

I like pallet bins too. For a lot of the same reasons.

With all those snakes, you can't be getting too many rodents in your bins.

to sense

Halfway
Green Thumb

It seems I get a hatch of garter snakes and then bull snakes. They stay away from the active pile, probably because of the heat, but end up in the finished pile which may still retain some of the warmth.

When that fork exposes a writhing mass it can be a bit of a surprise!!!!

Some of the earthworms have been over a foot long and a half inch thick. If the snakes are eating these, what a massive dose of food to start their lives! They do leave plenty behind tough. I never seem to run out of giant worms.

vermontkingdom

I certainly love my pallet bins. However, if I found they were instrumental in creating a perfect spot for snakes, even garter, I would undoubtedly reassess that position. I would never intentional harm a garter but a whole lot of them would sure as heck spook me.

Return to “Composting Forum”