alaytin
Newly Registered

Compost Barrel stand

Hello,

I moved into a new house and they have a barrel compostor in the back yard. It looks like it once came with a stand which allowed it to tumble, but the previous owners did not leave it behind. Does anyone know where I could just buy a compost barrel stand? I see sites which show you how to make one, but I don't have the tools.

Thanks,

Andy

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

There are different kinds of tumblers so it would help to know what it is. Can you post a picture of it or find a pic on the net that you can link to?

alaytin
Newly Registered

Here is a picture of it, https://plus.google.com/u/0/100529148307554131955/posts. You can see the holes in the side, but I am not sure if they are for a stand or just to let air in.

Thanks!

Andy

vermontkingdom

Hi Andy,
If you have a few cement blocks and a piece of pipe, you can make an acceptable support system for it. I've not had great success composting with them (I've had three over the years), but I know people who love them.
Happy gardening.

alaytin
Newly Registered

Thank you! We are having a hard time with this one and now I know that I am not the only one.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I second the idea of a pipe and some heavy blocks. I don't recognize the bin, but I'm no tumbler expert. 8) It's very possible the original stand rusted, broke or bent and was discarded.

I'd recommend a piece of galvanized iron pipe because the compost will aggressively rust iron.

treehopper

by the days of the week stamped into the sides, it appears one would roll the barrel around so it reflects a daily turning...just a guess...

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Well I'll be hornswoggled! It does say Friday on it.

Return to “Composting Forum”