leke
Cool Member

Apartment composting - Newspaper vs. Letter ink

Would using paper with [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toner]toner[/url] ink be better than using newspaper (not sure whether petroleum or soy based ink) for composting with?

Thanks.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

I doubt much toner is soy based at least in the USA but otherwise ink is ink.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

My best guess is that laser toner is finely powdered carbon plus some plasticky ingredients to make it fuse to the paper when it goes over the hot fuser roller. Neither of those things should be particularly risky. There could be other ingredients, but that's true of either type of ink. And the ink is a tiny amount of the mass of the paper.

All in all, six of one, half dozen of the other.

rot
Greener Thumb

Most domestic newspapers use soy based ink. It's lots cheaper in many ways. I stay away from anything that might have been printed ahead of time overseas like sales inserts. Printing in other countries doesn't have the same incentives to get away from from the toxic inks that the states have.

Toner in laser printers and photocopiers is plastic. If you want to see specifics, you can go to the Xerox website and look up the MSDS for all their toners. Toners are non toxic based on the about 100 MSDS I looked at some time ago. I have and will continue to compost shredded office paper - stuff from laser printers & photocopiers.

Office paper breaks down a little quicker than newspaper. Newspaper seems easier to clump for me. Maybe because I usually have to shred it myself. Newspaper also has a higher lignin content which is better nutrient wise.

I can get lots of office paper already shredded easily so I usually go that route when composting paper. I usually route newspaper to the recycling bin. I sometimes use newspaper as a weed block - 3 or 4 sheets thick with a bunch of mulch on top - gone in 6 months.

to sense

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Given an equal choice I would compost newspaper and recycle the office paper. Office paper is higher quality fiber, often with oak fiber in it, so the 'highest and best use', as we say in recycling, would be to make it into new paper. The lower quality newsprint would be the better choice for composting.

That is, if you have recycling facilities available.

rot
Greener Thumb

Good thing to know about the quality of office paper v newsprint.

I get office paper already shredded nicely so with no extra energy on my part, I can mix it right in. Maybe if I get my hands on a running chipper again and I'm scrounging for browns, although having a chipper kind of precludes that, I'll think of reversing my current habit. Things change.

thanks

Return to “Composting Forum”