Lucius_Junius
Cool Member

How soon to separate comfrey?

I wasn't sure where to post this, but as I associate comfrey more with composting I stuck it here. A lady at the garden store is giving me some of her own comfrey, and I'd like to know how soon after planting it I can begin dividing it up to spread. Also, if she gives me a relatively large root structure, can I separate it and plant several plants, or should I grow one and then start dividing?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Comfrey has a large long root that goes to China. A suggestion would be to plant the start she gives you, in a place that has some room to grow as it can get big. I would let the root structure be the 1st year, then see what it looks like next season. This season you can take the older past-their-prime leaves and throw them in the compost. I also plan to just lay some of the leaves down around a few plants and let them decompose into the ground there.
Hope this helps

soil
Greener Thumb

I recommend waiting a year before dividing. not only will you get better divisions, you will get more of them and the original plant wont suffer as much.

Lucius_Junius
Cool Member

Okay, looks like I'll be waiting for next year to start dividing the Comfrey. In the meantime I'll look for others who may want to donate some to my cause. Thanks, guys.

rot
Greener Thumb

I didn't know anything about comfrey before. I will think about it in the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfrey

thanks for the chat

Lucius_Junius
Cool Member

As a follow up; the very kind lady actually gave me three plants. I planted them in an area that was recently brush and woods and which I have been (painfully) clearing of roots and rocks, having cut away all the brambles and trees already. Hopefully next spring I'll be able to divide each plant.

Return to “Composting Forum”