BML

Best composters?

I see many advertisements for plastic compost bins which look very nice. However, much of what I read about composting discuses composters made from wooden slats that allows the stuff inside to breath. Which is the best sort?

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

If you're able to make your own from scrap pallets or other lumber, you can save a lot of money. The plastic ones will be a bit more rot resistant, but on the other hand they will crack and break eventually too.

You can make good compost in both. I've found that my plastic bin stays too wet, but my pallet bins get a bit dry and need watering, so take your pick.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Either way works. People make the wooden slats ones because the wooden pallets are free and they don't want to spend money buying a compost bin. The plastic ones have slits for air circulation, so they breathe also. I have a plastic one and a wire grid bin (more open air like the wooden ones). I just used the wire grid for years, but it got so too many critters had found it (the grid was small enough to keep raccoons, groundhogs and squirrels out, but not mice, shrews, voles, etc). So my compostables kept getting spread over the yard. The plastic bin keeps the critters out. It also holds more moisture in, so I don't have to water the compost pile as often.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

toxcrusadr wrote:If you're able to make your own from scrap pallets or other lumber, you can save a lot of money. The plastic ones will be a bit more rot resistant, but on the other hand they will crack and break eventually too.

You can make good compost in both. I've found that my plastic bin stays too wet, but my pallet bins get a bit dry and need watering, so take your pick.
Your experience is quite different from mine! :lol: My "made from recycled plastic" BioStack bin was acquired in the mid-'80s and is still going strong. Nary a crack in 'er, mate. The cover has gotten a little out of square, so we've added a long bungee cord to the set-up, and now the cover is secure again.

The BioStack compost tends to go dry, since no rain can penetrate the cover, and the vents in the sides encourage air circulation. The other day, when it was pouring rain, I took some kitchen waste out to the compost pile and had to add water b/c the compost was way too dry.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I'm either old fashioned or just plain cheap-----probably more of the latter. I opted for used pallets picked up free from the lumber yard 3 blocks from my house. I put 3 of them together to form a box about 4 ft tall by 3 ft. deep and wide.

I've run a lot of compost through those things since I've had them. I also have a free standing pile out back of my storage shed. That is where the fresh stuff goes for a couple months to begin breaking down and make turning much easier before it goes into the pallet bins to finish off.

beckya
Newly Registered

most helpful, thank you

rot
Greener Thumb

What works best is what works for you.

Cheap works for me so my stuff isn't very presentable. Others will turn the whole thing into a project and over build something nice.

Just starting out with the plastic ones. So far so good. I'm just adding things as I go along and watering. I'm in no hurry. One month and I haven't ticked off the neighbors yet.

Pallets work fine. I nailed window screen to the insides to keep the critters out. Stapling the window screen wasn't good enough. Set them on pavers or paving stones to keep the tree roots and burrowing critters out. The worms still made their way in. Threw a cover on it and after the rains it was worm city.

Think about how you're going to compost and what it needs to look like where it's going to be. You might want something not too shabby to look at if you're looking at it all the time outside the kitchen window. You might want to do a lot of turning so think about how you're going to do that. Give yourself space to work things. Not too close to the house and not too far from water. What kind of materials are most handy? Hardware cloth? Concrete blocks? Pallets? Big box store?

The pallets work fine. Hardware cloth cylinders work fine. The plastic things work fine. Concrete blocks work just dry stacked or cemented into place. I can't speak for tumblers.

However you go about it, make it work for you and not the other way around.

to sense

beckya
Newly Registered

I can not tell you the difference banana peels make in the compost. Okay, I know this sound funny. But we are getting twice the growth ever since my husband started eating them and putting them in the composter. The soil is great now. FYI.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Hmm. Well, bananas themselves (the part you eat) are high in potassium (K) which is a major plant nutrient. I don't know if this extends to the peels. Anyhow, glad it's going well for you!

rossmikey
Newly Registered

I think the plastic type ones are probably the most cost effective and easiest to get going. I've had good luck with the GEOBIN [url=https://www.geobin123.com]compost bins[/url]. They are offering free shipping right now.

https://www.geobin123.com

Return to “Composting Forum”