JPIXI

Thanks Scott,

Can I clarify with you the tumbler you used? It is like a rock tumbler where it turns and mix compose up?

I wonder what is the act of those home gardener composer container? Does it speed up the compose cycle? Or it is as good to place my compose at corner of my garden and occassionally stir it?

Tjansk again,
Pixi

JPIXI

Hiya guys,

I wonder if coffee ground is good organic fertilizer, does tea bag has the same effects too? Will it turn the compose acidic?

Cheers,
Pici

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

HI J,

Coffee grounds do not decrease the soil pH (make it acidic) as all the acidity of the coffee beans is leached out during the brewing process. I haven't read that tea leaves are acidic and I would surmise that if they were, that the acid would go into the tea.

Tea bags and coffee filters compost quite readily and actually are sort of a bonus because the tea leaves and coffee grinds are greens and the associated bags and filters are browns. BONUS!!!

JPIXI

Thanks for your advice.

In fact, I have more tea bags than coffee ground supply, as we drink tea more often. Hoooray!!! I have one more ingredient for my compose from tonight!

Cheers,
Pixi

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Good on you JPixi! I have saved the tea bag and apple core from my lunch today that will go into my compost pile as soon as I get home. And I get my coffee brewing room mate to put his used coffee grinds into my little compost filling receptacle that I keep in the kitchen. Not to mention the stuff I get from (name escapes me) the coffee joint where I get buckets of coffee grinds from!

They are great!

Return to “Composting Forum”