pricklypear
Newly Registered

blue gum trees for mulching

Hi I am new, my name is Delene Rodgers from New Zealand.
I am a new gardener and loving it but have a lot to learn.
I had some blue gum trees cut down, had some of the branches and leaves chipped, need to know if I can use as a mulch around fruit trees and vegatable garden.
Would love to hear from you thanks Delene

vebyrd36

I typically would place the wood chips in the compost bin to breakdown some

As to the gum tree:

Gum trees have eucalyptus in them which I think would be hazardous to use as mulch as it would be a fire harzard. I also think the eucalyptus may burn other plants. I myself would not use them

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Eucalyptus is a genus rather than something that is 'in' a tree. I think I know what you're trying to say though. After doing a little research it seems various Blue Gums are in the Eucalyptus family, so if there is something in the wood of Euc. species that retards plant growth, blue gum may have it.

I was initially doubtful because there are other gums in my neck of the woods (red gum and sweetgum) that are not Euc. species.

pricklypear
Newly Registered

If I cant use it for mulch, what can I do with it then?

vebyrd36

I would think yo could use it in the native gardening for you area. Eucalyptus mulch is particularly beneficial in a native garden because it promotes the development of micro-organisms in the soil which enhance plant health. :) :)

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I don't think there would be anything wrong with using it as a mulch, and if you're concerned about whether it will affect other plants, use it on paths or other places without plants.

Return to “Composting Forum”