OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Quick Question About Worms

So I know worms are good in your composed, Today I was digging up and moving some cinder blocks and I found alot and by alot I mean about 20 worms, So I was thinking is there a type of worm I don't want in my soil and Mainly my main question is "Can I Add this Worms to My Pots with Plants in them?" can I just throw a worm inside one of my pots?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Earthworms are good! There aren't much in the way of actual worms that you wouldn't want. There are nematodes you wouldn't want and caterpillars & grubs you wouldn't want, but they all look pretty different from worms. And yes, throw a couple worms in your containers.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Thanks I I found a good amount of them and some fat ones, hope they make my soil tip top, I think ama make that one of my daily task on finding them, They are easy to get and my ducks love the worms and the hateful slugs that eat my plants, I actually find it fun looking for worms makes me feel like a young little kid again ^_^

Halfway
Green Thumb

Wait till they get about 3/4 inches wide and 18 inches long, woooohoooooo! They are some eating and tunneling machines.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Don't waste the worms with the ducks. A worm makes many pounds of good soil in a year. I suggest a few leaves in the bottom of you pots or planters or even paper shaving that the worms will love and make you planters dirt even richer! I put a small piece on bananna skin in my small flower pots

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I sometimes find worms in my pots when they're sitting outside on the ground in the summer. They can leave through the holes if it gets too hot or dry in the pot, but if you're talking about indoor containers, they won't have a place to go when the conditions aren't right and will eventually die.

Return to “Composting Forum”