Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

The compost chef is ready to start cooking!

Ya anyone that can cook should be able to make a compost its basically ther same thing but a very slow cooker! Last year I has a stack of leaves in the winter then in the spring I doug the leaves along with some of the dirt to use in my garden! This created a 18 inch deep ol about10 by 12. This year I will use that hole as one of my compost. I plan on having three large compost with border lants around each compost!
+++
Lets everyone give some ideas of what they add to their compost! me I like pine needled saw dust burnt wood ash corn stocks and plenty of leaves with a shovel of dirt on top every few days! Skins coffee brown bags, paper even shredded peat straw any manure. ash sand but always add a little dirt to the top. Blood meal, pee, fish skins and guts. Well what else???

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Many members have already suggested "ingredients" in our [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9089]Sticky[/url] on Composting Browns and Greens.

The idea of digging a hole and making compost in it is often referred to as "pit composting." A Search of the forum will provide many threads on this topic.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I guess it works, but pit composting doesn't seem very aerobic to me.

If I put tough stuff like corn stalks (which I don't actually have), woody plant stems, tomato vines etc in my compost pile, I run them through shredder first. Breaks down way faster that way...

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

agreed the smaller you chop your stuff up for your compost the faster it breaks down.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Love the coffee grounds and shredded / corrugated cardboard for the winter. The cardboard allows air retention and of course the coffee grounds are the accelerator.

Take the grounds home from work if you are in an office type environment. Wow, hundreds of pounds in no time!

superschwein22
Cool Member

I know this may sound a little strange but I actually work at a restaurant and once or twice a week I collect the coffee grounds and tea bags we go through and bring them home. If you don't feel weird asking, I am sure any restaurant will give you some. I am neither a coffee nor tea drinker which is why I take it home from work.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

About 30 years ago I dated a girl that lived on a farm that was not used for years the farm was not used for years . Well anyway I raised three small pigs I bought and had to get food for them! I used to go to the dumpster at a foodland store. I used to get all kinds of leaves from lettuce celery. I even got cottage cheese in big buckets! Even fish was thrown away. The pigs ate it all. I never knew much about compost them but had the stuff for a great compost! I am sure they still throw alot away! Burnt cardboard and wood ash is also good for the garden!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Blah Blah Blah put a bunch of stuff together and you get compost.

Easy.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:Blah Blah Blah put a bunch of stuff together and you get compost.

Easy.
Yeah, but if you add garlic it taste better. :lol:

Eric

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Except for mine right now.... frozen solid! a few nights at 2 degrees F will do that.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

A nice size working compost will not freeze even at colder temp especially in the middle! A new or small compost will freeze I not very active! Last year at 10 degrees outside my huge pile of shredded pine was hot 6 inches down about 75 degrees!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My compost pile always freezes solid in winter. I just keep throwing stuff on top and when the weather warms up, it all starts working again.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:My compost pile always freezes solid in winter. I just keep throwing stuff on top and when the weather warms up, it all starts working again.
Same with my pile I just keep tossing stuff on it. lol it will start cooking when it wants to.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I've stopped throwing things on top since the raccoons and skunks will visit. I keep it for my worms or in buckets in the garage.

Return to “Composting Forum”