bushell
Newly Registered

huge pine tree giving off masses of needles

Hi I'm from Sydney Australia and have a large 10 metre pine tree in my front garden. In our hot summer the tree sheds masses of dry needles-I do mean masses. Usually I just rake them up load up our green waste bin,which is collected every two weeks. Frankly I would like to use this resource and perhaps add something which would break down the needles into a neutral useful compost.
I understand the needles are quite acid and of course they are quite bulky and very quickly fill up any container, so I guess my question is, is there a way to break down the mass , equalise the the acid, so I can use the material as a useful compost/mulch?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I mix my pine in with the soil when i spade or use them with a mulch! Some plants love them. a touch of lime if you use them will neutralize the acid. Great on strawberrys! I had a 50 foot tree all ground up last year with lots of needles and its all in the soil now completely gone! I had about 3 pick up loads and wish I had more this year!
Last edited by Bobberman on Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

ruggr10
Green Thumb

You can mulch tomatoes and strawberries or blueberries with them. they love it.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

acid loving plants like the ones mentioned above should love the pine needles. My soil is really alkaline so I can throw pine needles just about everywhere and not worry to much about it.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

The acids in yard waste break down into neutral compost.

Think of your pine duff as a brown, add some greens like kitchen scraps as you get them and some water.
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Pine needles makes a great airater and compost material. Old pine trees have about a foot or great soil under them from years of deposit. Although it is dry it maks a great mix with any soil!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

Im sorry I should have said I compost alot of pine needles then once its composted I throw it everywhere.lol

Return to “Composting Forum”