Hi I'm from Sydney Australia and have a large 10 metre pine tree in my front garden. In our hot summer the tree sheds masses of dry needles-I do mean masses. Usually I just rake them up load up our green waste bin,which is collected every two weeks. Frankly I would like to use this resource and perhaps add something which would break down the needles into a neutral useful compost.
I understand the needles are quite acid and of course they are quite bulky and very quickly fill up any container, so I guess my question is, is there a way to break down the mass , equalise the the acid, so I can use the material as a useful compost/mulch?