emiwri

winter composting

I started my first compost pile last fall. Now it is a cold winter with about a foot and a half of snow covering it. "Winging it" has sort of been my strategy. You know, the old, "Let's try it and see what happens" bit. :D

So far, since winter got going, I've been just adding kitchen scaps and planning to add more leaves and turn it once the snow melts.

I'm new to the garden forum and I'm curious what strategies people have as far as winter composting goes. Sharing your experiences would greatly help me know what to expect and decide a good course of action. Thanks!

-Emi

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi emiri,

In the winter, if you are concerned that you do not have enough browns you can lay down a single or double layer of black and white newspaper in between your layers of greens ( leave and nespaper are browns (higher C:N ratio and vegetable matter, lawn clippings, manure, coffee grounds and so on are greens with a lower C:N ratio).

Sometimes you can purchase coconut husks that have been ground up and use them as a brown for the winter as well. I usually don't use newspaper because it has a very high C:N ratio and it also contains no nutrients.

Also, I have learned over the years not to use any of the reputed compost boosters that you can buy at nursaries and at places like Home Depot and Walmart. They are just salt based fertilizers that actually end up killing all of the beneficial soil organisms that you rely on for composting and keeping disease organisms at bay in your garden.

Also, starting out the winter with a 50:50 mix of browns to greens will keep your compost nice and hot and it will not freeze and this way you don't have to worry about snow building up on your compost pile. Be sure to wet the compost as you put each layer on so as to prevent fire and also to keep the compost moist.

(Used corn husks are a great (and free from local markets and supermarkets) green to use in the summer and fall)

emiwri

Thank you for replying! I don't suppose that would work with alomost 2 feet of snow between the layers? Or should I wait 'til the snow melts to try adding the "brown" materials?

My mom recommended I add to it fish emulsion, to help it heat up. Would that help?

Thank you!

-Emi

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Should work just fine. We don't acquire to much snow where I live but, when we do recieve some snow, I take advantage of the snow as an insulating layer and pile up compostables atop our recent accumulation.

Leaves will work great (non mulched) because they will keep open air pockets in the compost layer as well which will further allow more respiration to occur, thereby keeping the compost warmer.

emiwri

Today I collected 3 bags of leave to add to the compost but unfortunately the compost pile was still frozen and I couldn't turn it... :( .

So I put some leaves on top and hoped for warmer weather.

What if I boiled some water to thaw it with! :twisted:

Return to “Composting Forum”