Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Compost milk shake in the kitchen blender.

For many years I have kept a cheap yard sale kitchen blender on the kitchen counter top. Every time we have kitchen scraps, potato peals, onion, egg shells, carrots, greens, old bread, anything that will compost I put it in the blender. When it gets full I put in some water and turn it on. In about 30 seconds I have a compost milk shake. I walk out the back door and pour it in a small garden spot about 6 ft across right next to the door. I don't have to go out into the rain or snow the garden spot is next to the door. That spot is amazing I can dig the black soil up with my fingers and plants grow like they are on miracle grow or steroids. Sometimes I turn the soil with a shovel and sometimes I just pull the hoe through the soil like a bull dozer blade. Weeds and grass pulls up very easy too. I planted some herbs there this year and they did great. Next year I will have 2 tomato plants there and maybe room for 2 other type plants.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

People who live under HOA (Home Owner Association) covanents should read your little treatice.

Good job!

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Hey, that's great. I was ready to give you the standard response that kitchen waste doesn't have to be blended up because it's soft and juicy anyway, but I see you have a system that works great for you.

Tom's right, that's a great approach for people who can't have a bin.

gardenscaper

A great idea - I have a large 'double bucket' system for composting on my small townhouse balcony; I may have to pirate your blender idea to suppliment my herbs and pots!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Nice.

I am hoping to get an old sink disposal to use for grinding up my scraps before they go in the compost. That should make it cook better and have a quicker turn around.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I never blend/ grind kitchen scraps for the compost pile and they seem to break down quite quickly (but for putting them directly on the ground it seems like a good idea). But I do grind up tough, woody stuff, like the bottoms of the tomato vines, and stems of stuff that gets woody, to put it in the compost pile, really does make a difference.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Your right kitchen scraps decompose fast but I just wanted to try this for an experement, been doing this for several years. Sometimes potato peals and carrots tops try to grow now they won't. I pour this in the soil and 2 days later it is gone. Plants grow unbelievable great. This batch is egg shells, potato peals, onoin and water.

[img]https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/gary350/100_1770.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/gary350/100_1772.jpg[/img]

Return to “Composting Forum”