toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb
Posts: 969
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:50 pm
Location: MO

I was not suggesting that mold never causes serious illness, only that clouds of spores can really give you an allergy attack even if they are the type that don't cause serious illness. This is probably much more likely to happen and I thought it was worth mentioning.
Tox

grateful
Newly Registered
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:20 am
Location: Sydney

Today's update...

The pile is still steaming, and no sign of any worms. All the dry newspaper I added so far has become wet, so I added more to soak up the moisture.

I didn't see any spores, mold or fungal growth, although it doesn't smell any better, so there may be some.

john gault
Green Thumb
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: Atlantic Beach, Fl. (USDA Hardiness Zone 9a)

As long as it's steaming the worms won't be there, they exit when it gets that warm. If they're in a enclosed container they will die in those temps.

grateful
Newly Registered
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:20 am
Location: Sydney

Thankfully John, the bottom of the compost bin is open directly onto the ground, so the worms have somewhere else to go. I knew that system would be advantageous one day!

Haven't checked the pile today, it's been too hot weather wise, now it's pouring rain... that's Sydney for you. I'll check it tomorrow.

Return to “Composting Forum”