PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Anything wrong with using compost not fully composted?

Hi,

Just wondering if there is anything wrong with using compost that has not fully broken down yet. I have used a little bit before and added to the bottom and middle of some pots but not a whole lot. I also sprinkled some over a bed that I am planning to grow stuff in a few months.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

In most situations, I would say no, there's nothing wrong with using the compost a little bit "early".
It's possible to have some "nitrogen tie-up" while the not-finished material decomposes... I think that (most of the time) that will not be an issue that's of any consequence.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Agreed, particularly if you're putting it on/into a bed that will be planted later. Plenty of time for it to finish doing its thing.

stylemichelle21

You could always use a compost sifter or sieve to separate your compost. However, I agree with the other posters that getting an early start won't be a drawback.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Walk into any woods and Mother Nature has a half-done layer of compost on the ground. She just doesn't till it in. :D

Artemesia
Cool Member

It also depends on what your are going to grow. Some crops like spinach, peppers, tomato, etc. demand balanced nutrition from the beginning of their growth cycle. Other plants, like okra, brassica, squash, will absorb more potassium in the early stages of growth. These crops will tolerate a low nitrogen environment at first as long as more nitrogen becomes available later.

nickolas

Artemesia wrote:It also depends on what your are going to grow. Some crops like spinach, peppers, tomato, etc. demand balanced nutrition from the beginning of their growth cycle. Other plants, like okra, brassica, squash, will absorb more potassium in the early stages of growth. These crops will tolerate a low nitrogen environment at first as long as more nitrogen becomes available later.
what about growing sweet corn and pumpkin's in Half done compost? I have homemade organic liquid fertiliser's if that would help.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I don't know about corn but squashes grow very well in compost piles. I've had it happen in my yard, and I was just reading on another forum about someone with a horse stable who made huge windrows of manure, sawdust and other stuff. They planted squash in a half-done one and it not only grew like crazy, but the pile seemed to break down faster than the one next to it that had nothing planted in it. What more could you ask for?

Artemesia
Cool Member

I have planted corn in manure that is only 2 weeks old and it has done fine. But I have also used fresh manure and burned plants. It all depends how much urine it contains because urine is high in nitrogen. But I would not plant corn in non-manure partially composted material because corn is one of the crops that demands nitrogen in the early phase of growth. On the other hand, squash spends the first 4-6 weeks growing roots so it uses more potassium than nitrogen. It would not only do well, but it would also speed up the fungal decomposition of the organic material by feeding the fungus. Some people even use this technique to increase drought tolerance.

Return to “Composting Forum”