OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

How To Handle Cow Manure?

I Have the Dairy's Close by, and They Pile Up Mountains of Doodoo and its free for people to take away, Now The Only reason I don't Get any is because I have heard I have to let it sit for 6 months before using it, and because its Hot Manure, Does anyone Know How Exactly I Should Use if for My Veggie Garden??

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Use gloves when handling. You want the manure to be aged/composted and it takes atleast 3 to 4 months I think. What you can do is lay the manure down in a spot you plan to grow something but not right away. Let the manure compost there.Or manure can be added to a compost bin but don;t plan to use the compost for a few months.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Awesome ama have to end up going tomorrow and get a bunch of it

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

t is good to fertilize and condition the soil. Like I say, lay it down in an area where you plan to grow something a few months in advance. Like right now it would be good to do it and grow something there in the spring.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Take as much as you want, put it into your compost bin/pile/whatnot. Add "browns" (dryer, carbon-providing) ingredients, water and turn the manure/browns mix for a few months until they become compost, and you'll LOVE what working it into the ground will do for your plants. :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

handle it with a shovel.

greenstubbs

Depending on how fresh it is, it'd be a better idea to bury it in the compost covered by grass or whatever as it will stink up your property like a farm until it breaks down some. That may or may not P. off your neighbors. I'm just sayin!

john gault
Green Thumb

Cow manure smells like roses compared to pig manure. For some reason the farmers on the Eastern shore of Maryland (DELMARVA area) love to use it.

Return to “Composting Forum”