wsommariva

Composted topsoil from the garden center

Hi everyone,

My local garden center has regular top soil and composted top soil. I was told to stay away from composted top soil due to possible weed seed inclusion.

I have my own great compost, weed free because I watch what I put in it. But I could use some of that composted topsoil next spring for a big project.

Any thoughts?

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Do you have a bulk supplier of mulch, compost etc, like a "fuel" company near by? That would be much more economical for a large project. I fall back or mushroom compost when I have a very large project and not enough top soil, etc of my own. It is generally weed free and has a resonably high nutrient value. It is what is left over after commercial mushrooms have been grown for a while. It's only draw back is that is you use it over and over for say 5-10 years you can get a slight salt build up, or so I have been told. Generally stay away from bagged top soil or even bulk, there are no regulations in this country to insure what you actually get except maybe in some cases in Texas.

wsommariva

I always get bagged at 40 pounds each. Once I got bulk from the garden center and it seemed to be better quality.

I think I'll stick with regular top soil and add the compost as I make it.

toddheft
Newly Registered

wsommariva wrote:Hi everyone,

My local garden center has regular top soil and composted top soil. I was told to stay away from composted top soil due to possible weed seed inclusion.

I have my own great compost, weed free because I watch what I put in it. But I could use some of that composted topsoil next spring for a big project.

Any thoughts?
Not sure what they might mean by 'composted" top soil - is it compost mixed with soil? Best bet would be to buy top soil and compost separately and use where needed. But I wouldn't be too concerned with the "weed seed" argument, I've heard that from every garden center trying to sell me a certain product. Weeds seeds are everywhere. Use enough mulch or corn gluten meal and it should smother most any weed seeds.

wsommariva

I know it looks richer and is more expensive. I guess it just has compost mixed in. Regardless I'll just get the regular and add my own compost.

Return to “Composting Forum”