garudamon11

I'll stay alive as long as I don't physically contact one of them :shock: I guess they cant be anything other than houseflies, I just hope they leave soon and never come back ... the bottom of the compost was too wet BTW so maybe thats the reason, I'm going to let it dry out now and maybe I'll add dry and brown things to it

lesson learned: NO composting in plastic bags

john gault
Green Thumb

garudamon11 wrote:I'll stay alive as long as I don't physically contact one of them :shock: I guess they cant be anything other than houseflies, I just hope they leave soon and never come back ... the bottom of the compost was too wet BTW so maybe thats the reason, I'm going to let it dry out now and maybe I'll add dry and brown things to it

lesson learned: NO composting in plastic bags
Yes, that's been my experience, I.e. the wetter the organic matter the more the maggot-like larvae. But that's all part of composting; they are part of your work force that is making compost - not a problem, but less moisture will keep their numbers down. However, don't forget when there is no moisture all activity stops, even the microorganisms shutdown.

applestar
Mod

I don't know what your yellow maggots, there in the UAE are, but most likely some kind of fly.
Rainbow gardener has a good point here. What other organisms native to your area typically handle this kind of work? I think the characteristic to look for is that they would limit themselves to the dark moist environment their entire life cycle.

For better air circulation and to avoid the plastered moist condition of the plastic bag, holes covered with window screens might help. The main bin should stand raised from the bottom tray or shallow bin underneath that will catch any excess moisture.

P.S. I would be creeped out by maggots too.... :shock:
I can't bring myself to try the BSF compost for that reason even though the advantage is that BSF maggots can handle things earthworm bins and compost piles can't. Happily, some of that gap can be filled by Bokashi bins.
People who BSF composts usually have something to feed the resulting maggots and pupae to -- like fish or chickens. BSF also can't be kept outside during winter in my area, and no way am I going to bring them inside.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm amazed Applestar, creeped out by maggots? You are the original nature-girl who puts earthworms in indoor flowerpots and doesn't mind centipedes in the house...

applestar
Mod

I have to draw the line somewhere.... :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

:) :)

john gault
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
I don't know what your yellow maggots, there in the UAE are, but most likely some kind of fly.
People who BSF composts usually have something to feed the resulting maggots and pupae to -- like fish or chickens. BSF also can't be kept outside during winter in my area, and no way am I going to bring them inside.
When I turn my pile I expose them to the lizards and birds in my yard; they actually come running (the lizards) when they see me coming. To me that's one of the best things about composting -- watching all the little critters and birds.

Sometimes I wonder if I turn my pile too much; I go out there almost daily to turn the pile just to watch the lizards fest :D

garudamon11

Somehow the maggots disappeared, I don't know how but my compost is stinky because it was too moist -.- I wonder if it can be saved by letting it dry out? Or maybe I should get rid of it?

applestar
Mod

Shredded brown paper and cardboard will add dry carbon materials to balance the moisture and nitrogen. 8)

garudamon11

Can I use tissues instead?

john gault
Green Thumb

garudamon11 wrote:Can I use tissues instead?
Yes, but would try to NOT use tissue paper that is scented, because you don't know what's in the perfume they add, but regular tissue paper is just fine. Or you could just turn the pile so the wet stuff is exposed to the air and the dry stuff in underneath. No need to throw away, that smell will go away real fast.

garudamon11

Maggot invasion level 2: now with 3 types of maggots ;(

john gault
Green Thumb

It's all part of composting, they are part of the workforce making soil for you. Do you think you could load up some pics?

garudamon11

Well I know they will speed up composting, but they are also using the nutrients in the compost materials to build up for their mature stage, after which they will leave with those nutrients!
But anyway thats not the main reason I hate them, they are just disgusting :(

john gault
Green Thumb

garudamon11 wrote:Well I know they will speed up composting, but they are also using the nutrients in the compost materials to build up for their mature stage, after which they will leave with those nutrients!
But anyway thats not the main reason I hate them, they are just disgusting :(
Curious, can you see what they are eating? And do you see any other type bugs in there? I get a lot of mealworms in my compost, they look a little like maggots, but they're the larvae of the meal beetle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mealworm, so I got tons of these beetles all over the place.

Composting is a nasty business if you don't like bugs/maggot-like things and slimy stuff. But that's nature, it ain't all pretty stuff like you see on nature shows. Just this morning I saw the biggest roach in my compost and we got some big ones down here in Florida, but this one was much bigger than normal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cockroach I got tons of these things around my compost.

BTW, those things are not eating away at your nutrients, they're eating away at the debris and making nutrients for your plants, because your plants can't extract the nutrients directly from the stuff you throw in you compost, it must be broken down by other stuff first. Those maggots do exactly the same thing as the microorganisms -- they eat the foodstuff and make waste (soil), which is then able to be taken up by the plants. The only real difference is that you can't see the microorganisms.

garudamon11

I'm glad I don't have roaches in my compost bin then :shock: well if those maggots are really going to speed up the composting process then they're.. welcomed.. but I just cant get myself to turn the compost anymore.. those maggots are scary :oops: I think I'll just turn it upside down into another pot to avoid contact with maggots

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have composted in 5 gallon buckets. I mixed a little bit of soil with fall leaves and put it in buckets and covered tops with flat sheets of plywood and put all the buckets in my garage for the winter. It is about 20 degrees warmer in the garage than outside. From Oct to April I got a pretty nice compost. I get free buckets at construction sites.

Return to “Composting Forum”