wsommariva

Bread OK for compost piles?

I throw bread into the bins. Mostly grain so I figured it's OK. Any disagreements here?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have read not to compost bread, pasta, etc because it doesn't break down very well. HOWEVER, I do it all the time and have never had any trouble or had any bread still visible when other stuff has broken down. Personally, I think it is fine.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Same here; I've thrown random bread into my primary compost pile and not had any problems. I do NOT throw it into my worm habitat, though.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

wsommariva

Thanks. I think it breaks down very quickly.

bogydave

I also throw bread in the compost, worms love it, especially whole wheat :).
Seems to disappear pretty quick.
Last edited by bogydave on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bogydave

[quote="bogydave"]I also throw bread in the compost, worms love it, especially whole wheat :)
Seems to disappear pretty quick.

oops
[/quote]

stylemichelle21

Everything I've read says bread is OK for a compost pile. A list of compost "don't's" from the U of Illinois website are "bones, cat and dog manure, cheese, chicken, fat, fish scraps, milk, meat, noxious weeds, and oils."

wsommariva

Nice list thanks....add seeds to that I guess if you don't get real hot compost. Boy do I have a creeping myrtle problem in one bed.

vermontkingdom

[quote="stylemichelle21"]Everything I've read says bread is OK for a compost pile. A list of compost "don't's" from the U of Illinois website are [I]"bones, cat and dog manure, cheese, chicken, fat, fish scraps, milk, meat, noxious weeds, and oils."

I often violate this list. All these things, with the exception of pet manure, are routinely added to my active bin. I've never had a problem so I'm not sure why there is such reticence.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

It's funny they listed 'chicken' and 'fish scraps' and also 'meat.' Seems a bit redundant. Which to me calls the entire thing into question, as though they aren't thinking about it too much. That said, those are the common 'don'ts', and I often violate them in small ways also.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I'm a vegetarian, so I never have fish, chicken, meat stuff around. But I have put small amounts of cheese and dairy into my compost pile with no ill effect. But it is enclosed so that the critters can't get to it.

Return to “Composting Forum”