RyNJ
Cool Member

Chicken back in compost?

As I'm typing this, actually, I'm cooking chicken stock with just the chicken's back. In the morn I'm gonna have to dispose of it and the other stuff I'm cooking into there. It's rather small, less than a pound. Is it advisable to put it into my pile?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I have put such in the middle of my compost off and on for many years. Right now, I have a visiting dog. So as a result I put everything in a slops barrel and compost it for a couple weeks before adding it to the pile.

Now the neighbors dog only stops long enough to water the corner of the compost bin...

john gault
Green Thumb

I just throw them in one of my mulched areas of my yard and usually the carcass is gone by the next day or spread out enough so that it's not noticable; I just threw a 3lb one out last night I'll have to go check later. I guess the cats get them, but I've also on many occasions seen them eaten by turkey vultures. If the bones/carcass was to remain in one place then I would throw in my compost, simply for aesthetics, but since the bones are all over the place I just let them decompose where the sit.

BTW, I also do the same thing with leftover chicken fat or any leftover sat. fat. If it's cool and solidified, I warm it up to a liquid and disperse it into my mulched area, so as not to allow it to be concentrated in one area. I then hit the pan with the hose to get all of it out, set the hose nozzel on Jet Stream.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I've been known to put the entire leftovers of a turkey carcass, after boiling for stock, into the center of a hot compost pile. In the spring all I found was the breast bone.

Return to “Composting Forum”