Rodmastar
Newly Registered

Bird cage poopie papers composting

Anyone experience dealing with owning birds, composting all the poopie papers

primary object to remove from trash and use as composite

its carbon + poopies is nitrogen// right... of coarse kitchen
waste and other additions... always covered by some earth, or leaves..

I am guessing from reading several articles. thinking out loud maybe you add your comments

until I can afford a decent tumber. which I like the bigger ones, the vertical type, I find are about 2 bills

I have 3 parrot cages that I fell a medium Glad trash bag weekly

When I go to recycle. I have lots of bags, all poopie papers vs/ real garbage.. so solving this... means a lot.

what do you think about..

They being poopie cages needing cleaning, , there're are folded up...the 3 cages to plastic bag ... Kind of loose full size papers bunched, can't shred this...I have place bag outside temporary... hoping somewhat,
break down

Then to dump in this 20" deep framed hole... I figure to dump the guey bag... puts some dead leafs that are falling this time of the fall year. And I picked up some bags of manure additionally adding to.. hold for the next several months.. until I get a tumbler. Further will lean-to plastic cover tent.. Would this work for my first winter

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Never had small caged birds, but lots of outdoor ducks.

Are you will to change your cage floor absorption material? How about straw, wood pellets, wood shavings or even dry leaves. None of theses should have dust to cause nasal problems. Maybe you could even use the paper based cat litter. All of these could be scooped and dump int a container. Large Rubbermaid. Start a worm box. :wink:

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, it sounds like great stuff for a compost pile... greens and browns all in one. Definitely get it out of the waste stream and quit using the plastic bags to dump it with! Good job!

I think Eric/DDF was suggesting the different cage floor material, like paper based cat litter, just to have something that is in shreds, not in sheets. The newspaper sheets will tend to smother the pile a bit. You could accomplish the same thing just by running the (clean) newspaper through a shredder first, before you put it in the cage.

We usually say "no more than 10% any one ingredient," so you just want to be sure you have enough other stuff to balance it out, the kitchen scraps, yard waste, etc.

soil
Greener Thumb

I second starting a wormbin and changing the floor material.

Rodmastar
Newly Registered

10%.. ummm will try!@# I just picked up a 50 gl tumbler used craigslist eugene OR delivered for 60... and depending.. May get another bin.. for worms?

Don't think I like changing medium.. the birds have it all over the floor.. they climb outside their cages..

Worms.. do they get along in a tumbler.. propagate themselves or purchase red worms or AND do they like being tumbled. No clue.. and do Worms split if you shovel them in half another myth or not?

I owned a simple stationary hole in bottom worm bin for years but never did paper.. -it was small..

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Tumblers are for hot composting. Out of the question for worms.

[quote]Regeneration
Earthworms have the ability to regenerate lost segments, but this ability varies between species and depends on the extent of the damage. Stephenson (1930) devoted a chapter of his monograph to this topic, while G.E. Gates spent 20 years studying regeneration in a variety of species, but “because little interest was shownâ€

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I used to keep Zebra finches, and I agree sheets of paper on the floor of the cages are the way to go. Anything else would create a disaster of a mess. My little birds didn't produce near the volume of material you're dealing with, though. I found the papers composted fairly quickly on the compost pile. The trick was to toss them on top of the pile, water it well with the hose, and let the water soak into the paper. Then I would use a pitchfork to tear up the paper, at the same time turning some of the pieces into the pile. The water kept the feces from dusting up.

soil
Greener Thumb

well worms love wet poo soaked newspaper, so thats a plus.

Return to “Composting Forum”