wsommariva

How about grass and leaves only for compost?

My landscaper never bags grass clippings unless the grass is real high. A few days ago it was very high and in addition leaves were on the ground. I think mostly maple as the oak leaves fall later. He put the grass leaves mix in my number 4 compost bin and oh boy - hot and steamy!!! I'll add this mix to my regular piles over a few weeks. My regular piles are kitchen scraps and stockpiled leaves.

So, would - grass clippings and leaves ONLY - make good compost?

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Yes, I've done it many times myself. But unless there are a lot of leaves, it's going to be heavy on the green side, and will need more browns. You'll be able to tell if gets very hot (over 150 - I've had them get up to 180, really overkill) and/or if it starts to have that funky rotten grass smell. Which is your nitrogen getting away!

Otherwise, have at it!

wsommariva

Thanks for the input. It does smell. I added leaves, I think I need to add more.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Mix in a few shovels of dirt in layers!

wsommariva

Yes I will add dirt this weekend, thanks

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Don't forget your kitchen scraps, just no meat or oily products etc. That will bring varmits. No cat/dog poo either. Grain fed animal poo is great too. Cow/horse, horse manure is usually given away and it comes with bedding (sawdust usually) so you get both greens and brown in one go.

I included a link at the bottom which is a short simple explanation of composting. There is a myriad of info just Google. Even search this website we have gone over this MANY times. I say do your research because they can explain what I'm trying to say much better. :lol:

https://www.composting101.com/c-n-ratio.html

wsommariva

I built a three bin system last Fall. I got great compost after ten months with weekly kitchen scraps and stockpiled leaves. Just was wondering about that grass/ leaves only situation.

yoseph
Newly Registered

How long this composting ingredients maybe done? Surely with keeping its humidity and regularly turning.

bogydave

Grass & leaves are most of my compost.
I bag as I mow when the leaves are falling. (more leaves than green grass)
Then as I pile it up I spray on some water & cover, today it was 140°f.
Like said, some soil or old compost mixed in helps but not needed.
Just leaves take about 2 years but with the grass to heat it up, you can get good compost in 1 year.
, I throw garden plants in when I have some (in with the leaves/grass) but For years most of my compost was leaves & grass bagged up in the Fall.
This years bin is getting full:
[img]https://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/bogydave/11cmpst.jpg[/img]
Last years bin, it settled down about 1/2 but was great compost. I have to mix in some fresh grass clippings when I mow (1 st spring mowing) in the to get it hot again because here it freezes around Dec. But by August I have "done" compost.
Pic of last fall bin:
[img]https://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/bogydave/grdnbnfull.jpg[/img]

estorms

I use whatever I have whenever I have it. leaves and grass, weeds, scraps, chicken food that has gotten wet. I never turn it. I have a lot of room, so I can keep it sitting around until I need it. This year, instead of cleaning up the garden, I am moving the chicken coop into it. They will scrape it bare by the time I am ready to plant again.

imafan26
Mod

If it smells it may also be too wet. As greens break down it loses water and packs, especially grass so air can't infiltrate as easily. I would add more carbon and if you don't want to turn it as much put in an air tube at least. You can add some shredded paper as a carbon source if you don't have enough old dried leaves, small twigs, or bark chips.

kitchen waste would be more greens and you need to balance the browns and greens so the pile is not stinky. Greens contain nitrogen and the breakdown of the high nitrogen material = heat.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

If it gets heavy on the green side, you can always add shredded paper and cardboard like pizza boxes, and don't forget that urea! :mrgreen:

Return to “Composting Forum”