nickolas

VERTICAL COMPOSTING

Hello all just wondering if any of you have tried Vertical composting. I have just finished reading a book on composting and one of the things I am going to do out of it was Vertical composting, to explain what it is I will tell you what the book said about vertical composting( bye the way the book was called “let it rotâ€

Tilde
Green Thumb

Sounds like what we did growing up, though a bit more systematic. Every few weeks we'd dig it down to another spot, eventually covering the whole of the area for the season, which would be planted the next season.

But we had multiple growing seasons so it wasn't that big of a deal. We'd know which section to dig into based on the "lid" (which was an old piece of sheet metal).

Sheet metal helped keep the critters out, as did a fence and territorial pest wranglers of the four-feeted variety.

Made a lot of happy worms that way - which helped on fishin' day ...

Tilde
Green Thumb

Though I'd call your pattern more linear than vertical - I was picturing a row of compost units ... probably because I am doing stacked compost units now, lol

farmerlon
Green Thumb

I think it might be an even better approach to use beds or raised beds instead of rows. That way, you can simply let a bed be fallow for a season and do the "trench composting" in the bed. That way, you're never walking on the areas where you will be planting.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I bury veggie scraps in my raised beds before planting. As they rot they help feed the plants. Works great for me without worrying about giving them time off.

klevelyn
Cool Member

The trench method sounds like a lot of work. I am going to try the raised beds this year and add compost and mulch to the top of the beds. We will see.

It is supposed to keep weeds down as your mulch breaks down it adds organic matter to the beds.

My current compost pile is the throw it on and leave it method. It takes time to break down, but it does eventually.

I like low maintenance.

Return to “Composting Forum”