Tilde
Green Thumb

So what yukky things are on corn husks?

Corn is super cheap right now (flown in from I-o-way :evil: ) at the store and with a teeny backyard garden here in zone 10 I'm never gonna grow my own. Might convince the in laws to let me put some on their back 40 sqyds

I want to compost my corn husks or use them in the container garden but what kind of pesticides are on them? Do they wash off or is the stuff that doesn't get washed off going to tip the ratio of consumption? That is - yes it will kill things that help compost but not enough to really mess it up and the "bad stuff" will break down sufficiently.

I'm frankly trying to go organic, or as much as possible (Dawn is a lifesaver with some bug killin). But of course we eat a lot of conventional foods for now, including corn ...

I have looked at the organic section here and been digging through the compost section (heh) but nothing definitive ...
USDA Zone 10, Sunset Zone 25, 16 feet above sea level, surrounded by chem-turfers.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

The clean and the dirty.
Special report: Toxic America

The group suggests limiting consumption of pesticides by purchasing organic for the 12 fruits and vegetables.

"You can reduce your exposure to pesticides by up to 80 percent by buying the organic version of the Dirty Dozen," Rosenthal said.

The Dirty Dozen

Celery

Peaches

Strawberries

Apples

Domestic blueberries

Nectarines

Sweet bell peppers

Spinach, kale and collard greens

Cherries

Potatoes

Imported grapes

Lettuce

Not all non-organic fruits and vegetables have a high pesticide level. Some produce has a strong outer layer that provides a defense against pesticide contamination. The group found a number of non-organic fruits and vegetables dubbed the "Clean 15" that contained little to no pesticides.

The Clean 15

Onions

Avocados

Sweet corn

Pineapples

Mango

Sweet peas

Asparagus

Kiwi fruit

Cabbage

Eggplant

Cantaloupe

Watermelon

Grapefruit

Sweet potatoes

Sweet onions

What is a pesticide?

A pesticide is a mixture of chemical substances used on farms to destroy or prevent pests, diseases and weeds from affecting crops. According to the USDA, 45 percent of the world's crops are lost to damage or spoilage, so many farmers count on pesticides

The husk maybe bad, but the cob should be fine.
Eric

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

In most states corn is sent to the market with no detectable pesticides remaining on them, at least out here. Just give them a rince and toss them in. I am strickly organic, don't grow corn, because it takes too much space for what you get and I have always just washed them off and tossed them in the compost.

Tilde
Green Thumb

Makes sense, thanks. Trying to avoid Bt corn, but considering we maybe eat less than 20 ears of corn a month, it sounds like adding it to my pile won't come near cracking the 10% rule.

I remember seeing a list that included beans for "dirty" and "clean" foods - I'll have to search it up and share it. We R very legume around here.
USDA Zone 10, Sunset Zone 25, 16 feet above sea level, surrounded by chem-turfers.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

If you are avoiding Bt corn on principle, I won't argue with you on that, but just know that it will have no effect on your compost or garden environment. Once you have eaten all the kernels -i.e. seeds - so you are not sprouting any Bt corn in the garden, there is nothing for the butterflies to be exposed to.

As to what's on the husks, your guess is as good as mine. There are probably residues, but I think you're safe with the 10% rule here.
Tox

Tilde
Green Thumb

Avoiding Bt and GMO when I can, mostly out of principle is all ... only so much avoiding one can do and so much effect it can have but makes me feel better.

Return to “Composting Forum”