Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Several small compost along border of the garden!

I made a small wire compost about a month ago mostly for kitchen food scraps like banannas and other fruis and vegs! I also throw some dirt and leaves and pulled out plants! I put the compost at the high side of the garden so it would drain into the garden ! The pile seems to compress on its own pretty fast!
+++
The comost is samll about 2 feet square and like a inclosed cage done with a type of chicken wire! This garden aea is about 30 by 20 with the 30 being the side the compost is on! I will add three compost to the 30 foot length and I bet my crops will really grow much better with the rain movingthe compost through the garden! I wil never have to turn the compost it will just disappear!
Does anyone else use their compost in this way?

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I think that's a great idea. One could almost put a compost 'moat' around the garden with chicken wire, this would keep the rabbits out at the same time. (I have deer and they would just step over it!)

OTOH if you put it around the edge, half the nutrients leaching out of it will go OUTSIDE the garden. Better to put it down the center, or in the middle of each bed if you have individual ones. I like it! The vigor of volunteer plants that come out of the compost pile attests to the value.

Return to “Composting Forum”