wsommariva

How about vertical 4 inch perferated pvc pipes?

I just saw bins that use pvc pipe in a vertical position stuck in the center of the piles. I have pvc hanging around and can easily drill in some holes. Any thoughts?

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

IMHO only necessary if you are doing hot composting and the pile is using air at a very fast rate, or the pile is very large. A cubic yard bin does not really need it. OTOH it doesn't really hurt it.

wsommariva

I don't get too hot, so I think I'll skip it. But then again, maybe I'll try it on one pile since I have the pvc just sitting in a shed. Like you said, can't hurt. Thanks for the thoughts.

bogydave

I did the vertical pipes, I lost allot of heat thru them.
I now put air pipes in horizontal, on the bottom & every 18" up the pile & have had great results. Faster composting & no turning the piles.

4'' should be fine, drill lots of 1/2" holes, getting air to the middle of the pile is one of the keys to faster compost.

[img]https://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/bogydave/100_6262.jpg[/img]

wsommariva

Allot to think of. I'll start with the vertical 4 inch and see what happens.

Thanks once again everyone.

bogydave

Hope you weathered the storm safely.
Good luck.

wsommariva

I drilled many 1/2 and 3/4 holes and inserted in my number two pile. Will see what happens. We got plenty of rain and wind, no big problems. Thanks

vermontkingdom

I have a 3-bin wooden pallet compost system. I use both vertical and horizontal pvc pipes in the active pile and high temperatures (about 145 degrees) are maintained for a long time.

wsommariva

Good to know. How did you do with Irene?

vermontkingdom

Overall, Vermont didn't do well with Irene. There are still towns stranded by its effects. Many people are devastated and, as a life long Vermonter, it breaks my heart.

Fortunately for those of us in the Champlain Valley, we received lots of rain (almost five inches) but with little flooding or damage. We are lucky that it had been unusally dry for about month around here so much of the rain was absorbed into the ground instead of running off.

As for the garden, I have plastic covered mini-hoop houses that protect my compost bins so the only moisture they get is when I water them. My active pile is still cooking away. Without the cover, I'm sure the rain would have shut the active one down. Those pvc pipes really keep the pile aerated.

wsommariva

Good to hear you did well.

Return to “Composting Forum”