PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Composting aquarium and pond plants?

Hi,

I usually have a lot of extra pond and aquarium plant clippings that I usually throw away. Could I compost these? There is just one concern, I add chemicals to the water to remove chlorine, and I also add fertilizer to my aquariums and pond. I am growing everything organic so would adding these be a problem?

Also could I compost hair algae?

Thx

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I guess it would depend on what chemicals you added. I always thought the excreta from the fish and other pond and aquarium animals was sufficient fertilizer for growing water plants. :?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Kisal wrote:I guess it would depend on what chemicals you added. I always thought the excreta from the fish and other pond and aquarium animals was sufficient fertilizer for growing water plants. :?
Yep and vegetables too. Aquaponics.

Eric

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I am adding powder form of potassium nitrate, mono potassium phosphate, and a powder mix that has, potassium sulfate, calcium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, ferric sulfate, and manganese sulfate.

In some cases fish and food wastes are enough. Like in my pond I only add a liquid fertilizer cause it is very understocked and I also have lots of fast growing plants. Some were turning yellow and showing some nutrient deficiency.

In my aquarium it's different, I have lots of plants and a lot of light on it so the plants use up a lot of the nutrients and CO2 in the tank. The liquid fertilizer I use in the pond is an aquarium fertilizer called Seachem Flourish.

And the chemical I use in both my pond and aquarium for removing chlorine is called Seachem Prime. It is a popular dechlorinater for ponds.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Shouldn't be a problem in your compost pile. The aquarium stuff will be only a small fraction of your compost pile and the chemicals are likely to get broken down before you use the compost.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Thanks.

soil
Greener Thumb

why all the chemicals?

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

None of those are toxic at all, in fact the fish are swimming in them so they can't be. Also, they are all minerals that occur naturally in soil - all the metals, and the sulfates too, are already in your soil. I would not worry at all about adding any of that to the compost.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Thanks guys. I am about to do some pruning so good timing. Also, some of my plants and algae are gonna have snails and maybe other little aquatic critters.

Return to “Composting Forum”