Last Fall we started a 3 bin system. Every week I would add kitchen scraps and cover with stockpiled oak leaves. Ratio of maybe 3 (leaves) to 1 (scraps). So I just turned one bin that has been sitting for about 5 months into an empty bin. All food scraps except egg shells are gone. And I never cut up anything, just throw scraps in the bin as is. Only real problem is that I have some matted leaves. So I have learned to perhaps mix up the pile a bit each week and to crush the egg shells. Other than that, I think I'll have great compost starting next spring. My goal was to have a zero cost no fuss system. I think I did ok. Thanks to everyone here who has helped me.