tovfla
Cool Member

Mango pits growing in compost pile

I noticed some green leaves in my compost pile and was pleasantly surprised to see mango pits that were starting to grow at the top of the pile! They're already about 6-10 inches tall. I pulled three out so far and decided to plant them (mangos do great here in South Florida).

Anyone else have plants growing out of your compost?

ETA: oops, this should have been posted in the composting forum

Queenie26

Yes I have a Malay apple (Makopa) seedlings growing in my compost like tons of them since I have 3 trees growing in my yard and they're bearing a lot of fruits . It's beginning to be my problem to remove them one by one. It sucks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I had several squash plants growing out of my compost. I pulled most but left one to see what it will do. Also a walnut tree seedling!

applestar
Mod

moved to the Compost Forum :wink:

Also have some kind of pumpkin/squash/gourd vine growing in the compost pile as well as a couple of tomatoes.

Good luck with your Mango. You are so lucky you can plant it in your garden. I have one three year old tree and three new this year seedlings in containers. I'll be bringing them inside before it gets too cold here. I just grow them for fun without too much expectations. :D

tovfla
Cool Member

wow really neat to find out this happens often! would love to hear what happens to the people who let the seedlings grow.

I guess I am lucky in that sense not having a winter season. I wish it was easier though to grow vegetables here, there are so many things to deal with- humidity (fungal diseases), SO many bugs to fend off (lately an infestation of whiteflies) and nematodes in the soil. Hopefully the hurricanes will stay away this year.

I looked today to see tons more mangoes pits starting to sprout.. will have to uproot most of them. I planted a few in small pots, so we'll see what happens :)

Return to “Composting Forum”