IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢m very new and IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢m trying to a composter by my own. But I have many concerns.
1. Is that a good idea to make a composter by using a plastic barrel, like the blue chemical one? I have read that the composter needs very good ventilation, so I can make holes in it.
2. If I put this in open area do I have to cover it so the rainwater doesnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t get inside or the water is good for the compost?
3. I also read that the composter attract the rodents specially snacks. Is it true? If yes IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢m wondering that why it attract the meat eaters. Anyway is there any suggestion to keep the rodents away?
4. In what amount of time the compost is ready. I read somewhere that takes a year.
5. For composting I have the easy access to egg shell, st Augustine grass, vegetables & fruits waist, tea bags, pine shaving with Guinea pig litter, newspaper, toilet paper. So are these good ingredients???
6. When the compost is ready how much I have to put. I mean that do I have to put a layer or spread it like the fertilizer.
Awaiting for the helpful advise.