I'm very new and I'm trying to a composter by my own. But I have many concerns.
1. Is that a good idea to make a composter by using a plastic barrel, like the blue chemical one? I have read that the composter needs very good ventilation, so I can make holes in it.
2. If I put this in open area do I have to cover it so the rainwater doesn't get inside or the water is good for the compost?
3. I also read that the composter attract the rodents specially snacks. Is it true? If yes I'm wondering that why it attract the meat eaters. Anyway is there any suggestion to keep the rodents away?
4. In what amount of time the compost is ready. I read somewhere that takes a year.
5. For composting I have the easy access to egg shell, st Augustine grass, vegetables & fruits waist, tea bags, pine shaving with Guinea pig litter, newspaper, toilet paper. So are these good ingredients???
6. When the compost is ready how much I have to put. I mean that do I have to put a layer or spread it like the fertilizer.
Awaiting for the helpful advise.