Freind

I started composting on my veggie bed. It has a 5 1/2 in high edging so I started dumping everything on the bed. Pls advise if I'm doing right. And also I'm wondering that do I have to add some soil or mud with my compost or not, if yes then what kind of soil?

I have also noticed that all my compost material is shrinking. And I believe that it is the part of composting. But my question is that is it okay to add the new material with the old one or I have to keep them separate.
Thanks.

Freind

I think I post it at the wrong topic. I'll post it again at the right area.
Sorry for the inconvinence. :oops:

Freind

I started composting on my veggie bed. It has a 5 1/2 in high edging so I started dumping everything on the bed. Pls advise if I'm doing right. And also I'm wondering that do I have to add some soil or mud with my compost or not, if yes then what kind of soil?

I have also noticed that all my compost material is shrinking. And I believe that it is the part of composting. But my question is that is it okay to add the new material with the old one or I have to keep them separate.
Thanks.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Composting in place is known as 'sheet composting' or sometimes 'lasagna composting' for the layers. If you type either of those into the Search the Forum Keyword Box, you will find a lot written here about them.

But yes, you will want to cover the compostables with something, soil, mulch, even newspapers. And probably once you have built your layers, you don't want to keep adding new stuff in that spot, go find a new spot, so the old stuff will have a chance to break down and get finished.

And you probably don't want to plant in that spot until the materials have pretty well broken down.

Return to “Composting Forum”