Mick58
Newly Registered

Question about building compost bin from trash cans

I'm I'm considering building a couple of compost bins from large plastic trash cans and have been searching the internet. Found lots of videos and instructions but all differ on how many air holes or how big the holes need to be. Has anyone here used trash cans for this? If so what has worked best for you?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

farmerlon
Green Thumb

1/2" is usually a good hole size.
Typically, the more holes the better (within reason); to keep the compost well-supplied with air.

wsommariva

I think you will need to cut the bottom off.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

wsommariva wrote:I think you will need to cut the bottom off.
Leave the bottom on, if you want to use the can as a compost "tumbler". A stand is not needed; you can roll the trash can around on the ground to mix and aerate the compost. [assuming you leave the bottom on, and there is a tight fitting lid]
However, it is fine to drill holes in the bottom.

Jjonis
Newly Registered

I've just started one myself and am having some teething problems, but I definitely vote for keeping the bottom on and opting for a lockable lid. Rolling is so easy! I understand why you might cut out the bottom...so you could just lift and scoop out the compost, but I think drilling holes on the bottom and scooping from the top sounds better to me. I guess I'll need a sieve??

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Removing the entire bottom would weaken the structure considerably. Years ago when I started out I used a square, rigid plastic trash can and removed a square from the center of the bottom. It was rigid enough all around and had the bottom corners and a couple inches of plastic around the edge still intact, so it worked fine. A soft plastic one I would worry about. Really a few holes for drainage is all that is absolutely necessary. So do whatever works for you as long as you have some drainage.

Return to “Composting Forum”