episcopal

Will my compost bin work?

I have recently turned an old green wheelie bin into a compost bin as our garden has no place to compost in the open, as ive never done this before I just wonder what you rate as my chance of success or if I'm doing anything wrong, I'm in the north of england

its a 240 litre wheelie bin I drilled a few holes near the bottom so it can drain and then cut a flap in near the bottom, about a quarter of the way up from the bottom I fixed some narrow gapped wire mesh thinking the compost would then just drop threw to the bottom and be easy to collect but I think I'm wrong about that,

the first thing I put in was a chopped up newspaper and then a load of weeds mainly like horsetail and then I put in a lot of rotten stalks and leaves and stuff witch had alot of soil in it already, then its had another newspaper or two and alot of freshly weeded weeds plus a few ripped up tea bags and fruit skins and a layer of sand silt soil and rotten leaves from the gutter and now its alm most full with a big layer of more fresh weeds on top,

if it makes any difference I checked it today and for the first time it had mist and water gathering on the lid, plus ive added a bucket of water to it today,

is there anything I need to do to it or is it set up ok?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Compost needs AIR. Drill some more holes, not just at the bottom but scattered around to let more air through.

Sounds like you need some more browns (see the Greens/Browns sticky at the top of this forum).

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I think you may be right, about being wrong about the compost dropping through the mesh. it also doesn't sound like you have much chance of turning it? you can be alright without it, but in an enclosed bin like that, if there's anything lacking as far as drainage goes (if your holes are too small or liable to get clogged), it can take a long time to get past the 'heap of smelly muck' stage.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

If it seems to make compost and doesn't smell bad, you have the air and moisture right. Too much moisture or not enough air or too much nitrogen (greens) can all cause odors.

I agree the mesh thing probably will not work that well. There are very few designs that will dispense perfect compost to you, just due to the nature of composting. Just let it sit on the ground and when it's full, pull it off or flip it over, set it up next to the pile, and fork the pile back into the bin. If there's compost to be had it will be at the bottom. The turning will help the rest of it finish.

BTW, welcome!

episcopal

ive removed the mesh from inside the bin now and ive drilled alot more holes in it,
and I'm about to start adding alot more newspaper and cardboards to it as its starting to smell a little bit

thanks for all the replys.

bogydave

[quote="episcopal"]ive removed the mesh from inside the bin now and ive drilled alot more holes in it,
and I'm about to start adding alot more newspaper and cardboards to it as its starting to smell a little bit

thanks for all the replys.[/quote]

Smell may mean to much water. Just "Damp" is key for composting.

episcopal

bogydave wrote:
episcopal wrote:ive removed the mesh from inside the bin now and ive drilled alot more holes in it,

thanks for all the replys.
Smell may mean to much water. Just "Damp" is key for composting.

ive started adding more newspapers and cardboard now and the smell seems to subside after ive put the news papers in, and I'm going to add alot more holes to let the air out

hopefully the smell wont come back after that

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Observe and adjust! :P

rot
Greener Thumb

episcopal wrote:, and I'm going to add alot more holes to let the air out
Breathe. I'm not sure it makes a difference but you want to let the air in as opposed to letting it out. Specifically oxygen. Without oxygen it gets stinky like a cesspool or a sewer. Too wet and it will suppress the oxygen so too much moisture amounts to the same thing.

If I did my conversions correctly, 240 liters is a trash can - 63 gallons or less than 9 cu ft. It can be done at that scale but it will be harder. If you've got the resources consider going to a cubic meter or half a cubic meter. I think you will get better results.

In the end what works best is what works for you. If 240 liters works for you then 240 liters it is and continue as you have been, observing and adjusting as you go along to make it work with what you've got.

to sense

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

If you have more material than will fit in that bin, you might consider making it a second or finishing bin. Make another pile or bin a bit larger. Once your initial pile has shrunk down a bit and needs turning, turn it into this bin to finish and add fresh material to the first pile.

Return to “Composting Forum”