kelly714

Keep old compost or start over.

I started a compost bin behind my garage two years ago. I added to it for a while, but stopped actively adding to it about a year ago. The last thing I added was my tomato vines in the fall. I stopped adding things because I was afraid to attract critters, but I really want the compost, so I will have to ramp up my efforts to deter them. Anyway, should I trash the stuff that is in there or just start adding and turning?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Why throw away a perfectly good soil amendment. Is this year old pile finished? I would use a shovel full or two from this pile to inoculate the new pile and use the rest.

Eric

kelly714

The old stuff in not very decomposed, mostly lumps and stuff. Still keep it?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Build a frame out of 2x4's and nail or staple 1/2" hardware cloth to it. Make the frame large enough to fit over a wheelbarrow. Shovel the compost into this and shake. The good stuff will go through and the rest goes back into the new pile.

Eric

OzarkAggie
Newly Registered

The smaller the particle size the quicker your compost materials will break down. From your original post it seems that you are simply adding material - such as the tomato vines - without mulching them.

I use a lawn mower with a mulch blade to grind up leaves. I block the discharge so they don't blow around - but if you have a grass catcher that works as well or better.

After mulching the pile start a new pile and mix in grass clippings. The interior of the pile should heat up. When it begins to coll down - about 3-4 weeks - turn the pile.

I've used various types of frames but they're not necessary. Optimum height of the pile is 4 foot so mound loose materials as high as you can.

Good Gardening!

Return to “Composting Forum”