samela
Newly Registered

liquid from cans good to use?

I was wondering if the liquid from say olive cans or other vegetables would be good to put in my worm bin?

thanrose
Greener Thumb

I'd say no: too much salt usually. A bit here and there wouldn't matter much, but if you were dumping liquid from five cans a week, it could be detrimental.

carol_in_va

I've been adding the water from draining the tuna cans into mine, and my pile is doing great. I do make sure to add cardboard from tp rolls, used paper towels, the paper towel tube, etc. along with all that liquid. If you get low sodium veggies, the salt shouldn't be an issue, especially if you dilute it first. I was just reading a discussion about this the other day on here, and that seemed to be the general consensus. (search the forum, the post is around here somewhere...) Also, if you steam or boil veggies you can use the water from that, too, either to water your plants or to water the compost.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

this is a wormbin question, though, and not standard compost pile...worms aren't much for swimming...

I've never added any extra liquid to my worm bins after the very initial (pre-worm) phases.

samela
Newly Registered

Yes, it is a worm bin, I would only add a little bit at a time. So you think even in small doses it would be more hurtful than helpful? Salt does hurt the worms..
It's hard to find information on this subject because when you search for can liquid you get all kinds of stuff about making liquid fertilizer. Also I had a hard time finding out what the liquid actually is, from what I could tell it was just water put in when they can it

carol_in_va

Oops! Sorry :oops:

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

^no worries, carol!

I'd say, unless your bin is for some reason too dry (which I've never seen in an established bin), I don't see any reason to tempt the (even lightly-salted) fates. more risk than expectation of help.

Return to “Composting Forum”