sarahug
Newly Registered

Mealy Worm and Composting

Can I put Mealy Worm to my compost bin outside?

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Dunno why not. Do you have some flour they've gotten into? Dump it in. Just spread it around a bit so it doesn't make a huge clump of dough when it gets wet.

sarahug
Newly Registered

Thank you for your advise. I might even put some oatmeal into the composting bin. Also, I would love to add some red worms but don't know where to buy them in Houston area.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

sarahug wrote:Thank you for your advise. I might even put some oatmeal into the composting bin. Also, I would love to add some red worms but don't know where to buy them in Houston area.
Sarahug, Ask locally, you may have a too warm climate for them.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

If you build your compost pile/bin in contact with the ground, worms will find it and come up into it if the conditions are right.

sarahug
Newly Registered

My compost bins are plastic trash cans from Home Depot. I drilled 1 inch holes all around including the lid and the bottom. I made 2 indentical bins. I read somewhere in the past that the bins should stand on bricks for the air flow. So that's what I did. But now I want to follow your idea and let the bins touch the ground because I don't see any of mealy worms I had put in about 2 weeks ago. :( Also, I don't see any red worms either. I had put 3 worms in there about 4 days that I found by digging into soil when I was planting some perennials.

Return to “Composting Forum”