pickupguy07

store bought plants

Fairly simple quest here...
I think I am going to have a resource to get store bought plants (ones that get to looking to poor to sell.)
I see that they go into the compost as greens
My questions is what is best to do with the potting soil they plants come in.
I saw some dirt is ok to add to compost... but since this is potting soil already.. is it better to just put it in a "ready" bin and add more compost as it finishes and gets ready to use also.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I don't know that there is a correct answer to your question. Sometimes I recycle potting soil by simply putting it into the wheel barrow, enriching it with fertilizer, maybe improving the quality with a little perlite, perhaps even blending in some fresh potting soil and/or compost. Other times I recycle the soil by dumping it straight into the compost pile. My assumption is that the soil at the end of the season or at the end of its current use will likely have some organisms which may aid the composting process, plus the synthetic soil mixes also may improve the texture and water retention of the pile. So from my point of view, the correct option simply depends on the current use that you wish to make of the used potting soil.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I consider whether the plant had any diseases, especially diseases that might be passed on via the soil. If so, I compost the soil. If the plant was healthy, I just use the soil for some other plant. :)

pickupguy07

ok.. thanks folks..

Return to “Composting Forum”