hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Rainbowgardener, I've got a whole house, probably 42 inch, attic fan. It is 30 years old, but never used more than 20-30 hours. Here in S.C. it does nothing but pull hot air, and isn't overly useful in the cool spring and fall because of all of the pollen. I'm going to pull the fan, probably before next season. Figure out a way to get it to Ohio, and you can have it. This fan is powerful enough to pull quite a breeze in three to four windows open at once. I have it set on a 12 hour timer, which makes the operation quite convenient to shut off late at night when the temperature drops.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I've been thinking about one of those attic fans. On a warm (not too hot) day the sun really heats up our attic too, and having the fan exhaust into that space would cool down the attic and roof, which I think would make the whole house cool down faster in the evening when the sun goes down. Might not even have to run the AC overnight. Therefore, big energy saver. It's kind of a messy job to put one in and get power to it so I haven't tackled it yet.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Topic seems to have wandered off from composting, but I have a whole house attic fan and love it! But we also use some window fans, bring air in at the bottom and vent it out at the top. It works great, we just got caught in the weird weather swings... Who knew it was going to get this cold again, this late in May, after being 90?

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

The bizarre temperature swings and all the rain have really messed up my composting efforts. How's that for putting it back on track? :P

Return to “Composting Forum”