Rogue11

worm questions

A couple days ago I was searching the web for articles on worm composting and worm farms. During my search I landed at one point on a website that was advertising little, what I would call, worm feeders.
Unfortunately I didn't keep the link. But anyway, it seemed like they were taking plastic pipes that were a couple feet long, drilled holes into the lower part and stuck them into the ground. (where the part with the holes would be under ground). Then they would add scraps and stuff into the pipes from the top every once in a while. It was supposed to attract worms that live underground and have them come in to feed.

Now am wondering if something like this would work or if it is just a gimmick. If this would be something that would keep more worms in my soil (and even produce some small amount of castings while they are feeding) I would be all for it and try to make my own feeders (we have tons of pipe pieces left from remodeling the house). But I know too little about worms to be sure.

What are your thoughts?

P.S if I should find the link to the site I'll post it later.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think they're a gimmick. Work plenty of organic material into the soil of your garden and flower beds, use compost as a mulch, spread compost on your lawn. Do that and you will have many happy little worms. :)

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

You can even dig a small trench and bury your kitchen scraps. Some people do this right between their garden rows, so the worms are busy turning the waste into fertilizer right there at the plant roots.

Those things probably work, but you have to keep in mind that people will invent something to sell you for virtually any task, but that doesn't mean you need it, or even that it actually makes it easier.

Rogue11

Thanks. Yeah I figured it might be a gimmick but thought it would be worth asking.

Odd Duck

I do have some worm tubes. They are not super impressive as a way to get more worms in the garden, but they do help a bit. They basically serve as a worm feeding station. I wouldn't spend any money on making them, but if you already have the pipes, go for it. It certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

Return to “Composting Forum”