pernox

55 Gallon drum - what to expect?

I have a 55 gallon drum in the back yard near the raised veggie beds - it's been there for the better part of three years, and has had all sorts of scraps thrown into it.. Pulled weeds, egg shells (complete with empty cardboard cartons), coffee grounds, fallen/chewed on veg, table scraps, a bag or two of grass cuttings...

It's been covered most of the time, and hasn't got any holes. :shock:

I've got to get the thing moved so I can get a more short-term compost pile going that I'll be able to turn, aerate, water, etc. Any idea what to expect when I finally turn this thing on its side to pour it out? I've let it take some water occasionally, and left the top off for a couple dry days every so often. It's not foul smelling like a pile of garbage, but if I've got the potential to have a bucket of slime on my hands under the freshest layers I'd like to roll it somewhere harmless before tipping it over.

Thanks in advance for any sage composting wisdom that's available. 8)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Good question! I'd put it somewhere harmless to start with. The bucket of slime seems like a distinct possibility. However, in that case, I would also expect it to smell very bad. Since it doesn't, perhaps it somehow got enough air in there to compost well and it will be fine.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Maybe it dried out in hot summer weather and all you'll find in the bottom is humus.

I'd take a fork and dig down into it to get some idea what you're going to find. If it's wet and slimy down there, tip it over and let it drain out for a few days before 'going in.' 8)

No matter how bad it is, I would think you could layer the stuff into a new compost pile with some other materials and end up with proper compost.

And if we don't hear back from you, we are NOT sending a search party. :shock:

soil
Greener Thumb

there's only one way to really find out!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Expect their is more juice-decomp than loam. Unless this barrel is mperitive that it remain intact, I'd poke a couple holes in the lower side. Let a couple hundred pounds of liquid drain off before rolling or tipping your barrel.

When I had a neighbor dog problem and used a 55 gallon drum as a jumbo slops can, and kept it tightly covered at all times, The drum retained more liquid that I would have thought likely.

The up side is as soon as some air can co-mingle with the compost-stew, in a compost bin, loam hurrys right along.

Ferdinand the great dane loved my compost too well, if not wisely.

swickstrum

Sounds like an interesting experiment if nothing else. Maybe you could post a few pictures of the results - or at least a good description of it once you find out.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

We will expect a full report if pernox survives the process.

pernox

LOL!

Excellent replies! :lol:

I have yet to tip over the Barrel of (potential) Doom - but will take pictures when I do. I tried tipping it in early March after a couple warm days and a little snowblower work, but it was still frozen solid save the top layer of spent grains from brewing and a few egg shells.

I'm pretty excited to see what I have here, particularly after the feedback. Thanks! :D

nickolas

Is the 55 gallon drum metal.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Pernox hasn't been back to this thread, I wonder if he didn't survive the tipping of the terrible tub?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My best compost is in a 55 gallon barrel with both ends cut out. I painted it flat black and set it in full sun. Set it open end down, fill it full, the top is plywood painted flat black. Heat from the sun speed up the compost. It will compost 6" every day in full sun. I fill it full then sprinkle a few hands full of soil on top next day it is down 6". This time of the year I have plenty of stuff to put in bush bean plants for one thing. I tip the barrel over and the compost that comes out at the bottom looks like black potting soil. I can scoop out a little every week. When the hot weather is over it does not compost this fast.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

nickolas

Gary350 wrote:My best compost is in a 55 gallon barrel with both ends cut out. I painted it flat black and set it in full sun. Set it open end down, fill it full, the top is plywood painted flat black. Heat from the sun speed up the compost. It will compost 6" every day in full sun. I fill it full then sprinkle a few hands full of soil on top next day it is down 6". This time of the year I have plenty of stuff to put in bush bean plants for one thing. I tip the barrel over and the compost looks like black potting soil on the bottom. I can scoop out a little every week.
Is your 55 gallon barrel made from metal.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

nickolas wrote: Is your 55 gallon barrel made from metal.
Yes it is metal.

Return to “Composting Forum”