GomoIsGardening
Cool Member

I have a tumbler and as Applestar stated it's marketing hype in the last 8 years of my experience.

It still took at least 3 months when I used my fresh chicken manure for the hot ingredients. It never came out fine and crumbly either. My instructions even stated to use ammonium sulfate, which defeats the purpose of organic compost.

I rarely use it anymore, because it's less work to do it the way you're doing it and I get better results.

chuck.johnson3

Yes it is a very small Starbucks, It was the Second Starbucks and the third coffee shop that I went to. The one on FT Leonardwood would not let me have the grounds period. Doesnt seem right to me at all but they said no way. I will never get coffee from them again. The donut shop where I will never give business to again refused as well. The small starbucks was more than willing and very excited that I wanted the grounds, its out of my way but I will buy coffee from them alone. Thanks small starbucks.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

You wonder what is going through their minds when they won't give up their trash to be recycled. :roll: Do you suppose they think you're going to try and make (free) coffee from them? Or else it's just a general liability thing. This way you can't sue them for getting some in your eye.

Well, smile and thank the Starbucks people and make sure they know you appreciate it!

chuck.johnson3

I didnt get the grounds, when I went to pick up the grounds the girl acted like she had never seen me :shock: and had no idea what I was talking about. :x FYI I have to drive about 10 mile to this Starbucks, I'm done with coffee grounds. Ill find anouther way.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Good grief.

Starbucks had a corporate policy to give them to anyone who asked, but they retracted it a year or so ago so it's up to individual stores. Some of them are glad to do it, but a lot of the general population (ie Starbucks employees) doesn't have a clue about waste reduction or composting.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

When a pile is built with much leaves-yard waste, and has heated up, and cooled and you see what look like countless white threads in the mix, those are mycellium. Those threads are the busy bits of mushroom family.

This is a valuable and wonderful family member of micro herd(ers). In my book, its ready to use.

There may well remain some lignin bits that are recognisable. They are not reason enough to refrain from using it as a top dressing, or till-turning it in to your garden.

FWIW where I need visually homogenous sifted compost, I'll do that. For the whole garden--no way. I got better fish to fry...

chuck.johnson3

That is not what I'm seeing. What I'm seeing is kinda like a white powder, when uncovered it looks like steam rising from the pile however, it is not steam it is a powder of some kind. I tried to take a pic but it didnt work out well. I wonder if the grass had been treated in the past and this is somekind of chemical, my other thought was (I don't know but guessing) maybe this could be leaf mold. I don't know what leaf mold is or looks like. I havent seen any threads. I will try again to get a pic of this stuff.

swickstrum

I've seen that on mine too, I'm not sure what it is. It seems like it only shows up after the heating/cooking of the compost has almost neared completion. I normally can't get it to heat up again unless I add more green after I see the white powder.

I don't think it's a chemical because none of my green or brown has been treated, I think it's an effect of the composting/decomposition process, almost like ashes from the heat of the process or something.

I'm currently on the hunt for some good green, I haven't mowed enough this year to get enough and I have a stack of leaves that would stunt a mastedon. I'm hoping to mow this afternoon and get my new pile started. I have about 18 inches of good soil from my last batch, and it is wonderful! I'm using it to fill holes my dog has dug over the winter, and as a potting soil for my new plants that I'm planting around the house.

Spring is awesome! :D

chuck.johnson3

swickstrum you hit the nail on the head that is exactly what happens when I see the white stuff.

I'm not worried about it now thanks for the info.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

chuck.johnson3 wrote:That is not what I'm seeing. What I'm seeing is kinda like a white powder, when uncovered it looks like steam rising from the pile however, it is not steam it is a powder of some kind. I tried to take a pic but it didnt work out well. I wonder if the grass had been treated in the past and this is somekind of chemical, my other thought was (I don't know but guessing) maybe this could be leaf mold. I don't know what leaf mold is or looks like. I havent seen any threads. I will try again to get a pic of this stuff.
If there is still steam rising out of your pile its still cooking. You may be seeing ash.

A wire coat hanger can be used as a probe, inserted left in 30 seconds and withdrawn. If its hot, its still cooking.

chuck.johnson3

I have hit the mother load (No thanks to Starbucks) :cry: , The Horse stables on Ft. Leonard wood will let me have all the horse poop I can cart away. 8)

rot
Greener Thumb

About coffee grounds. Sometimes people just aren't rational.

So what if I'm going to make coffee out the grounds you're now through with? Let me save you a trip to the dumpster for chrissake.

I once went coffee ground crazy and I was hitting about 5 or 6 starbucks on my way home from work each night. I would hit this one starbucks and they'd always look at me like I was some kind of bum. They'd make me wait and appear like they were doing me this great favor when they would finally turn over a tiny donut box with a few coffee grounds in it when I've got a 60 pound sack of coffee grounds in my pick up from the previous starbucks. I stopped going there. I go without coffee before I shop at that place.

Meanwhile other starbucks are happy to give me bunches. One employee was helping me carry it out. Another was giving me their fancy paper carry out bags when they were still re-bagging the old grounds in those foil sacks.

I don't have kind words for those people who hoard their waste or look at me like I'm getting away with something when they turn some over after I've asked.

to sense

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Some people just don't get it rot, so you move on to greener pastures. One thing I've learned is that trash and compost are definitely not worth stressing over! :wink:

georgf
Newly Registered

Nobody has touched the white substance yet. This is fungus growing - and a good sign for a healthy composting process. Compost can be dominated by fungi or bacteria depending on the material used and the process applied. For tree growing medium one would prefer fungus compost.
Your plan with the plastic sheet - and I assume it is a black sheet to collect additional heat from the sun - is perfect, as it keeps critters out and moisture in, and propels the process of composting considerably. What you need to do is watch the temperature. As soon as it drops it is a sure sign that oxygen is depleted and only then do you need to turn it over again.

chuck.johnson3

Thanks for the infor. Things are going great now and my third pile is huge and very very hot. My pile smell like sweet corn or fresh earth, sometime they remind me of the rain on pavment on a hot day. I figure if it smells like that it should be good.

chuck.johnson3

I wonder how bad it is to breath the fungus, if at all. Seems the last time I turned which I will explain: I build my piles kinda like a triangle, the fat part being the front, Then every few days I take the front and pile on top, I usually go in about a foot or two. Pile the front on the top and back and move the pile along the ground in this manner. Seems last turn the wind was in my face and the fungus was right there as well.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I'd wear a dust mask! You could wet it down to keep down the dust too.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Now and then someone does have a bad allergic reaction, or worse, but more rare, an actual lung infection from handling compost. It's usually people already in poor heath or with a compromised immune system. I would use common sense and if you think you're in a cloud of fungus spores, avoid breathing it. Stay upwind, mist it down with water or put on a mask.

Compost is great for the garden but your insides are entirely different territory...

Return to “Composting Forum”