gardenbean

Worms in my compost (Already!!)

New to composting, since March, so it was a HUGE surprise to find worms at the bottom of the pile!!!!!!!!!!

Being new at this composting, this is a good thing right? :lol:

And I noticed that my pile has a "sweet scent to it. Just saying...........

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Yep, that is a good thing to have worms in the pile. I've been composting for some time now and currently have 3 piles going in my yard and not once has any of them stunk up the yard. Matter of fact, sometimes my kitchen waste container smells worse than the whole pile if I forget about it for a couple days. Good thing it is a old plastic coffee container with a tight fitting lid.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

gardenbean wrote:New to composting, since March, so it was a HUGE surprise to find worms at the bottom of the pile!!!!!!!!!! Being new at this composting, this is a good thing right? :lol:
I think it is a good thing. Has it warmed any in the middle? If yes, thats another good thing.

Unless you added some red-wigglers or another of the warm composting worms, I expect the worms you see will only do their thing in colder parts of the pile.

Garden, on.

rot
Greener Thumb

Excellent.

You're growing worms and natives at that. They will leave castings and cocoons. Those cocoons will get around as you spread the finished product and you will be seeding your soil with builders of soil.

to sense

swickstrum

It's definitely a good thing. I still only notice one or two in my piles, and I've been doing it well over a year now. I may actually buy some earthworms and put them near the bottom in the hopes that they will multiply.

I actually have a problem with slugs that I am dealing with, so I need to get that taken care of. :x

Sounds like you have a good start, keep it up!

gardenbean

@tomc, yes the middle of the compost is warm and soon (with fingers crossed) I can begin to start using some of it when I bring my warmer crops out to be planted.

Return to “Composting Forum”