Halfway
Green Thumb

Hot Ashes

The recent 70s and 80s started the bins cooking so well, I have ashes where there was celery trimmings and coffee grounds. It is still cooking, but the ashes really showed how hot it became.

A good turn and soaking from the hose along with another couple pounds of grounds will have this really roasting.

Ahhh springtime!

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

That's a bit hot, dontcha think? :P

Actually you may have some kind of fungus going there, it's said the ashy looking residue is actually a fungus and not combustion by-products. Unless it actually spontaneously combusted. There was an incident here just yesterday where a bale of hay caught a farm building on fire.

Halfway
Green Thumb

I've seen it before when it gets very hot. It was still over 140 degrees. I usually see it where I have placed alot of coffee grounds withe used filters. Amazing.

swickstrum

toxcrusadr wrote:That's a bit hot, dontcha think? :P

Actually you may have some kind of fungus going there, it's said the ashy looking residue is actually a fungus and not combustion by-products. Unless it actually spontaneously combusted. There was an incident here just yesterday where a bale of hay caught a farm building on fire.
The fungus is a good thing though, isn't it? I've always thought that the white stuff was ashes too. I was just waiting to see smoke signals from my compost pile before I put out the fire...

Return to “Composting Forum”