bogydave

[quote="pickupguy07"] Bogy_Dave
whats the pipes at the bottom for.??
Anyone else use these [/quote]

Air

pickupguy07

ok.. makes sense..
My first thought was to catch the 'tea' (somehow or other.)
I have several pipes like that laying around.. good idea.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"The N component (ie ammonium nitrate) is made by reacting nitrogen and steam at high temperature and pressure (the Haber process) which takes a lot of natural gas" natural gas is also a non-renewable resource.

Synthetic chemicals are produced with extremely high levels of petroleum inputs and concentrated to allow mass production, easy transport and application, and high response rates from plants. The high concentrations of nitrogen, the major nutrient for plant growth, cause plants to grow rapidly, but the faster growth does not mean better plants or food, just more of it. Everyone is familiar with tasteless tomatoes, bland corn, oversized, watery lettuce, and other commodities that lack the flavor and nutrients of food grown with better attention to the health of the soil, the plant, and the quality of the fruit or vegetable. https://www.ediblecommunities.com/shastabutte/online-magazine/winter-2011/we-speak-organic-here.htm

Synthetic fertilizers use non-renewable fossil fuels. The energy consumed to make synthetic nitrogen for U.S. farmers for one year (13.1 million tons) would heat about 5.5 million Midwestern homes all year long....Twelve years ago, the U.S. was the world's largest exporter of N fertilizer; now we are the largest importer. More than half the nitrogen our farmers now use comes from places like Trinidad, Russia, and the Persian Gulf, where natural gas is cheaper than in the U.S. https://www.organicvalley.coop/why-organic/synthetic-fertilizers/

The above is a really nice article about why to use organic instead of synthetic / chemical fertilizers.

rot
Greener Thumb

Where's the Helpful Gardener when you need him.

I thought the biggest problem with industrial fertilizers was they mess up the soil biology and chemistry. The plants get a big boost, maybe too big of a boost but then once those nutrients are gone, and they're gone soon, you have screwed up soil with little life in it and now nutrients so you get addicted to these industrial fertilizers.

It's kind of like getting hooked on coffee. It keeps you up at night so when you get up in the morning, you need more coffee to get going.

The angle of approach I'm trying to take is to feed the soil which will then feed the plants. I think I'm doing something right because I now have robins hunting for worms our yard where they weren't for a while when we first moved in. I've got pill bugs all summer in once what was hydrophobic beds. I've also got bulbs that came to life apparently from pervious owners that I didn't know were there. And all I'm doing is mulching with everything I can get my hands on from compost to coffee grounds to grass clippings. Now I'm on a campaign to reduce water use.

Feed the soil and everything else will follow.

to sense

Return to “Composting Forum”