Vorguen

pile of compost on the ground, efficient?

My original idea for making a compost was just to collect a lot of grass clippings / leaves / kitchen scraps / etc and pile them up in a large pile outside my house, I have been hearing almost everyone builds different things for their compost pile, what is wrong with building a compost pile straight off the ground and just mounding it and turning it from there?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Not a thing. I made compost that way for years, and always had 3 or 4 piles at a time. But then I got a dog who had a thing for compost. She'd drag the stuff all over the yard ... not just the recently added stuff, but even finished compost. (Just trying to be helpful, I'm sure! :lol: )

I built a bin out of welded wire fabric, 2" x 4" mesh, to keep her out of it. It worked fine, too.

Some people may feel that the bins are less messy-looking, as well, compared to open piles. :)

SOB
Green Thumb

I don't have a compost bin or pile but from my reading the only reason to build something is to contain the pile.

When the compost is on the ground it will draw in the worms necessary to help break things down faster.

Building something around it will help keep the leaves, grass clippings, etc from blowing around your (and your neighbors) yards. I may also keep some varmints from getting into it.

Vorguen

Ah got you.. Thanks :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup. My compost pile is on the ground, it just has a wire bin cage around it. If I didn't do that, none of the kitchen scraps would stay in it long enough to compost... since my yard has cats, the occasional neighbor's dog, woodchucks, raccoons, squirrels, mice, shrews, birds and who knows what all else, anything edible would be dug out of the pile tout suite!

Vorguen

Ah, I asked because my sister-in-law has that which you just described, and it is completely overflowed and full of half/composted stuff all around it on the floor because it didn't fit, its not really an eyesore (and I wouldn't care in my own home) but it just didn't seem to work well, lol.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Vorguen, In my grandfathers day a bit of chicken fencing was as elaborate as his pile ever got.

In smaller suburban yards a tumbler makes things look 'nice'.

I use four pallets to contain my current pile.

It depends on what you esthetic demands.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Vorguen wrote:Ah, I asked because my sister-in-law has that which you just described, and it is completely overflowed and full of half/composted stuff all around it on the floor because it didn't fit, its not really an eyesore (and I wouldn't care in my own home) but it just didn't seem to work well, lol.
If she's set on having bins for appearance or whatever, she needs a second one to turn the pile over into when it gets full, then start a new pile in the first one. That will give double the capacity, AND she'll be more likely to have compost ready when she wants to use it, and not have to dig through a bunch of half-done stuff to get to it.

This could also be done with just piles, of course, or a long windrow, where you add to one end and use the oldest stuff from the other end.

rot
Greener Thumb

A few bin ideas in the following link. It includes lots of other good info.

https://www.compostinfo.com/

to sense

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I just got mine built this afternoon! Didn't take too long to do either.

[img]https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e391/hom1/compostbins.jpg[/img]
Five pallets and a few deck screws along with an old gate should do it. I made two bins, one working and one to turn into.

Vorguen

ah Wood pallets, too useful :P

Tonythegardener

I make my compost bins out of old pallets too. They are fixed together with thick wire.
As you can see I do not pamper my compost.
[img]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_T92eTEcwVH0/TSNkuDGlGFI/AAAAAAAAADw/52JnmtSW_XM/s1600/CIMG7016.JPG[/img]
It all gets dug in regardless.
[img]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fpky_PpdzUE/Ta88H3m4O4I/AAAAAAAAAPw/nCEtbgKOhL8/s1600/Tulips-and-garlic.jpg[/img]
Doesn't seem to be doing my garden much damage?

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Nice garden Tony!

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Do I spy garlic, tulips and rhubarb? Eclectic!

rot
Greener Thumb

Not to get on topic but, there a bunch of different ways to bio-remediate through the aerobic composting method.

I find what works best is what works for you. You can turn it into a full blown science project or you just pile things in a corner.

No sense in contorting and bending your ways to make it work. It works for you and then you know it works.

Have at it anyway you like. Just make sure it works for you and not the other way around.

to sense

jgray1284
Newly Registered

HI,

I'm new to this forum, but not to the lawn and garden business. Having been in it full time since 1998 as a lawn and garden chain manager in Savannah, GA...there is no major problem with doing it from the ground, depending where you are located. I find that doing from the round attracts major unwanted rodents & snakes.

Plus one major reason I personally like using a compost tumbler is because of it's ability to mix the compost often for an even mix and being able to keep it contained so no unwanted pest come around. I also mix in a compost starter with my piles because it helps start the breakdown process. One last thing guys, the temperature is really important in the process of compost coming out right, it should be steaming and a dark brown or black when its done. Make sure to choose a well insulated compost bin or tumbler if you choose to go that route. :D

swickstrum

I actually prefer using the ground without any constructed format because it makes it easier for me to move around as it goes through the various stages of decomposition. I have two piles and one is always further along than the other so I can easily move stuff from one pile to the other.

I used to watch my dad turning his pile (which was in a very tidy 4'x4'x5' enclosure) and he would cuss and sweat and bust his back trying to reach into his pile and get it properly turned. Then, when he was ready to use it, he had to remove the top layer, pull out the usable portion, and then put the unused portion back in. Seemed like too much work when he could have just had two piles of compost.

Of course, my back yard has a nice high fence and my piles are in the back corner of the yard so no one has to really look at them; I suppose that makes a difference.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

The double or triple pallet bin with removable doors is the best of both worlds. Turning is easy, the continuous batch process gets you finished compost whenever you need it without digging for it, and it's neat and contained.

Return to “Composting Forum”