JennieMig
Cool Member

New to composting...

I have been ready to start composting since planting my garden in February. My Husband, who's not into gardening at all, was against the idea of the traditional composting pile surrounded by wood or wire. So he bought me a 60 gallon plastic composting tumbler. It is more astheticly pleasing than what I would have built so that was our compromise. :wink:

After I assembled it I placed it in a sunny spot, per the instruction manual. Then I filled it 2/3 of the way full with leaves, shredded paper bag, veggie scraps, and lots (5lb can) of used coffee grounds, then added enough water to moisten the contents. I gave it a few turns then came in to do some research on other stuff I can add to it. Now I find that the leaves that I used, magnolia, are not good to compost and wont break down. I put them in whole and now am stuck with compost that wont break down? :x

Does anyone have any suggestions for things that I can add that will help break down these leaves faster? I thought about adding a cup or two of whey, just for the bacteria. I have read no dairy in compost, does whey count as a no-no?

Please, any advice welcome...

JennieMig
Cool Member

Someone suggested a cup of ammonia, and another person said a handfull of bagged fertilizer.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'm not an authority on compost, but you may find that the leaves break down faster in your tumbler than they would in a traditional compost pile, especially if you turn the drum every day, to keep things stirred up.

In the long run, compost usually is screened (sifted) before use, anyway, and if the leaves haven't broken down by then, they'll be removed by the screening process. At that point, you can choose to return them to your tumbler for another go-round, run them through a shredder first to help them break down, or dispose of them in an entirely different manner, perhaps using them as a long-lasting mulch in some part of your yard. Just some ideas. :)

farmerlon
Green Thumb

JennieMig wrote:.... Now I find that the leaves that I used, magnolia, are not good to compost and wont break down. I put them in whole ...
The Magnolia leaves will decompose, but it can take quite a while. If you have a way to chop/shred the leaves, that will help.
I know you're trying to avoid a pile, but you may want to pile the Magnolia leaves away and let them decompose a while before adding them to your compost tumbler.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I would not recommend adding ammonia or fertilizer, UNLESS your compost is heavy on browns and deficient in greens and not decomposing as a result. Otherwise you risk having too much N which can cause bad odors. You can correct lack of activity by adding more 'greens'.

The idea with compost is to make a soil amendment from 'waste' garden trimmings and kitchen scraps, without buying chemicals...at least that's my philosophy. The American Way is to sell you things to try to control or improve it. This is unnecessary with many things in life, certainly with compost. Just a little philosophical rant! :)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I've had a compost tumbler, twice. I left both behind when moving. So my opinion of tumblers may be less than enthusiastic.

One thing for sure I would not add to a tumbler is water. Tumblers just never had air pass through them enough to over come added water.

I might use a colander vs a slops can to hold kitchen waste too.

And let your tumbler rest between turnings with the hatch at the bottom, also to encourage drain out.

For my aquisitive ways, tumblers made just too little for my need.

rot
Greener Thumb

Not a major disaster. Worst case scenario: it takes longer.

You could spill out the contents. Maybe let it dray a little - it is the dry season in Florida now isn't it? - and then rough up the leaves and the contents with one of those three pronged cultivator things.

Yeah it'd be just great if you could just run it through a chipper and chop all them magnolia leaves real small but I think if you just rough 'em up real good so there are rips and tears that will go a long way to speeding up the process.

Either way, it will compost. Keep the faith.

to sense

Return to “Composting Forum”