greenqueen

My compost is really cooking now, thanks to starbucks!

Thanks to someone on this board last year who let me in on the secret!

CitizenOfThePlanet
Newly Registered

I actually just picked up four, 5lb bags of coffee grinds from Starbucks today for my compost... did it really help your bin? What is the secret?

SOB
Green Thumb

I had a friend pick up bags weekly last year and I wasn't composting but I put them straight into the garden and loved the results! Between that and my spent brewing grains it did wonders for my soil! The worms came in droves...

greenqueen

the secret was that starbucks gives their grounds away. And it got it cooking in only one day!

Vorguen

Woah thats awesome, do you just go and ask them for their used coffee grounds and they give them to you?

SOB
Green Thumb

Yes, basically. They bag them up and have them sitting there for someone to take. Just walk in and ask if they have any.

gardenbean

Wow! I just started composting and live very closed to a Starbucks, I think I will go ask and see what happens.
Learning as I go and surprising myself when it all comes together......

rot
Greener Thumb

Starbucks is good about that

Most of the starbucks I've hit have been pretty good. If you start hitting them up on a regular basis they get used to you and you can get absurd amounts.

I was visiting one store on my route when I was trying to scrounge up as much as I could and they'd just look at me funny like I was some kind of bum. Other stores are ecstatic to give the stuff a way. It saves them a trip to the dumpster.

If they don't have any when you ask, don't fret. Let them know that's cool and come back another time. Other folks are collecting too so if someone else is reducing the waste stream, lets be content with that.

to sense

gardenbean

@rot,
Went yesterday morning to my local Starbucks and was really surprised that I wasn't the only one who will be collecting their grinds. As a matter of fact there are 6 people in front of me who also get their grinds there too.

They were great and told which times were best for "me" to come collect and the hours work out great. Like they said there is plenty to go around. :D
Learning as I go and surprising myself when it all comes together......

Return to “Composting Forum”