Tilde
Green Thumb

toxcrusadr wrote:Also, liquid inks do have carriers (solvents) but from what I know they are low toxicity, heavy alcohols that would be biodegradable. Laser printer toner is mostly carbon powder.
So copier-pages with laser toner and printer pages with laser-toner: OK to compost for food gardens?

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

The general consensus is, yes.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

So is colored newspaper alright too? Just not the glossy paper right?

I have been composting toilet and paper towel rolls. I've noticed this type of glue on it. Is this glue safe?

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I am not sure whether the ink varies depending on whether newsprint is glossy or dull. The finish is in the way the paper is made rather than the ink. That said, different papers may require slightly different ink formulations in order to print and dry properly on each. I tend to recycle my glossy ads just because of the high amount of colored ink, but I don't really have any proof they have metals in them.

Glues are often made from animal hides, hoofs and other byproducts, or from waste tree lignin, which has to be extracted during the papermaking process. Especially for large volume applications, such as paper towel rolls, particleboard/OSB, etc., they are probably looking for something cheap and available, not an expensive solvent based epoxy or something. I would think these kinds of glues would not present a problem and are likely water soluble and biodegradable.

john gault
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I tend to think of Europe as being ahead of us (U.S.) in all things environmental, so I would be shocked to hear you don't have recycling programs.
Europe is not a country like the U.S. and there's a lot of differences between the various countries in Europe, especially the ones in the east; the establishment of the EU has done little to change this. I've been to a lot of countries in Europe and the way it's portrayed in the media is not representative of Europe as a whole, not even close.

With all our problems we in the U.S. do pretty good in environmental stewardship.

Edit: I did not intend to infer that you thought that Europe was a country with this statement: Europe is not a country like the U.S...

Return to “Composting Forum”