Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Maple and pine wood chips for compost!

My girlfriend had a huge maple tree trimmed last week and told the guy she did not want the chips! Boy was I mad I just told her I got alot of pine chip and needle at my place for the garden! I did get some from her brothers maple tree today now I have a pick up load of maple and 4 pick ups of pine!
+++
Suggestions anyone? I plan on digging shallow pits and filling them half way up with the the wood chips and mixing urea and blood mill and covering with a foot of soil and planting something suggestions? How do leaves mix with wood chips? What would you mix with wood chips?
+++
Should I use some at the bottom of a compost or the top? I have alot of other uses like for walk ways and covering weed areas!

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I'm not sure I'd recommend burying wood chips even if you're adding nitrogen. During the decomposition phase (which will be slow with wood) they may suck in more nitrogen than what is available. Or they may not use what you've added fast enough before it leaches away.

I use wood only for mulch, on top of the ground, as Mother Nature does. In a pinch, maybe in the compost, if I had way too many greens. They would be great as a top dressing over compost or other mulches.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

maybe look into hugelkulture...or search here for discussions on it.

Return to “Composting Forum”