Vorguen

watering plants with tea

is it good for plants to be watered with tea? I make tea every day and occasionally I have leftover, it is always steeped and never with added sugar / honey / splenda

is it healthy for them to be watered by this?

Troppofoodgardener

Tea is a natural antioxidant, so one would suppose it wouldn't be the best thing for the beneficial creatures in the soil.

A friend actually recommended using a tea-spray as a means to keep mealybugs at bay. I tried that for a while with limited success.

I did notice however that the leaves on the plant seemed to shrivel up slightly, but the actual plant managed to survive the spray & mealybug infestation.

The mealybugs are now gone, but I'm not sure how much of that was due to the tea-spray, natural predators moving in, or seasonal changes.

Maybe run an experiment and have 2 similar plants (type, size etc) in different pots. Water one with tea and one without for a few months? :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Should add humic acids and nothing harmful, methinks... I like troppo's idea of a test run. Try it and let us know.

HG
Last edited by The Helpful Gardener on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

I do water with left-over tea, but not straight -- Usually diluted with about 10X water. I use it with added sugar, honey, or lemon (I don't have specific preference, but drink tea differently depending on the tea and mood). I don't drink tea with milk/cream but I do add rice milk, and I use any left over to water with, too. :lol:

The tea leaves go in the worm composter for the earthworms. Unlike coffee grounds, which look perfectly natural even when sitting on top of the container soil, tea leaves have a way of looking messy so I don't put the tea leaves in containers any more. :wink:

soil
Greener Thumb

I would dilute then apply.

Vorguen

thanks for the suggestions

Return to “Composting Forum”