annastasia76

compost tea

I want to make a compost tea but don't have and can't afford all the stuff mentioned in the airated (sp?) compost tea thread. Is there any way I can put some cheep compost that I purchased in a bucket, add some well water and just let it naturally steep (stirring a few times) to make a very simple compost tea. maybe adding horse or rabbit manure?? My neighbors have horses and rabbits. I am hoping to be able to buy some alfalfa pellets soon, and I saw bone meal and blood meal in the store.

I am hoping that we might have the stuff from my son's fish tank years ago but, chances are, I think it broke. I also think my hubby might be able to get me a bucket from work though I am not sure how large it would be or if it would have a lid.

I would like something to add to my veggie sprouts

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

A shovel full of compost and or manure in a burlap bag, suspended in a barrel of water. Compost tea :D

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I make what I call a compost infusion: Put a small shovel of compost in a bucket, add water (rain water or water that has sat overnight to outgas the chlorine), a "glug" of blackstrap molasses. Stir and splash it around for awhile and use. But you don't want to let this sit too long. Since it doesn't have pump/airstone, etc, it will get anaerobic if you let it just sit. Use it right after you make it. But with 15 min of stirring and splashing you get a lovely rich good smelling infusion....

annastasia76

great, good to know to not let it sit. I will see if I can find a bucket today.

soil
Greener Thumb

fill a bucket with water, add compost, stir for a good few minutes. apply to your garden.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

basically what I said, but I think adding the molasses helps get some of the microbial cultures going, which is part of the point of compost tea. The folks that are doing the AACT always add some kind of microbe food. It's just that because they can keep it aerated, they can grow the cultures longer. I'm trusting that if I get it started, the process can keep going in the soil.

Return to “Composting Forum”